How to Make Homemade Crayons in the Instant Pot
Homemade Instant Pot Crayons: Easy, quick, and fun project for the kids in your life.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Art
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: N/A
- Crayons (new, old, broken – anything works)
- Remove wrappers from crayons (see note for methods to make this easy).
- Break crayons into about 1-inch pieces (size isn’t super important, they just need to fit in the container)
- Fill silicone molds with crayons. For my molds, I do about 1/4 cup of crayons, but this will differ depending on the size of your molds and how big you want your crayons to be.
- Pour 1 cup of water into the pressure cooker pot and place trivet inside. Place silicone mold on the trivet. You can stack another mold on top if desired.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 4 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a quick release.
- Very gently remove molds and set aside to cool for 30-45 minutes, until solid. Placing the molds in the fridge will hurry this process (just be careful not so spill crayon wax!)
- Once hardened, pop the crayons from the silicone mold and be dazzled by your creations!
- Choose one of the 2 methods for removing the crayon wrapper
- Use a craft knife, flat razor, or paring knife to slit the wrapper from top to bottom (ADULTS ONLY! BE CAREFUL)
- Place crayons in warm water for about 10 minutes or until the wrappers start falling away from the crayons. Slip the wrappers off and dry the crayons.
- Any silicone mold will work for the crayons as long as it fits inside the pressure cooker pot. Small foil containers are also an option.
- If crayons aren’t completely melted after 4 minutes, cook for one more minute. Cook time may vary with different molds and brands of crayons.
- Mix and match complementary colors for the best outcome or use like shades of one color.
- For more bling, use different crayons like glitter, pearl, metallic, neon, or scented.
- To add glitter, add a pinch to the empty molds, add the broken crayons, pressure cook, then add a pinch to the top of the melted crayon.
Keywords: kid activity, homemade crayons, kid art