These Instant Pot Blueberry Breakfast Cakes prove the old saying that great things come in small packages. Cute, soft, and loaded with protein and whole grains, these are a delicious AND healthy way to start your day
Tip #1 for how to get kids to eat anything – make it mini.
Mini food apparently sends the signal of, “Hey, I'm small like you which means I'm not poisonous or bitter or contain any form of vegetable.” Little do they know that these Mini Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Beebo Bites are loaded with vegetables.
My kids (and husband for that matter) are in love with these Blueberry Breakfast Cakes! I've made them more times than I can count over the past month, tweaking and perfecting them as I went, and my kids still cheer when they hit the table.
My biggest challenge with these babies was the blueberries. The sweet burst of blueberry juice undeniably made them next level yummy, but for the longest time I couldn't figure out how to keep all of the blueberries from sinking to the bottom while cooking.
I started with my favorite Instant Pot Berries and Cream Breakfast Cake recipe and adjusted from there. After much trial and error, I discovered that the best way to keep those blueberries evenly distributed, was to toss them in flour and scatter them on top of the cake batter instead of stirring them in.
The added bonus is that the slight coating of flour also helps create a more syrupy burst of blueberry juice throughout the mini cakes. Cakes that make their own syrup – now that's multitasking at its best!
We've since tried several different flavors of these breakfast cakes (which I'll mention below), but this blueberry version remains everyone's favorite.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE MINIATURE BREAKFAST CAKE
- Squooshy, cushy cakes, bursting with sweet blueberry flavor – BE GONE plain ol' boring blueberry muffins!
- LOADED with protein and whole grains – eggs, greek yogurt, and whole wheat flour are makin' sure your ambitious goals become a reality
- Breakfast on the Go! Make a bunch and keep them in the fridge or freezer for emergencies. My daughter hides leftovers in the back of the fridge so she can pack them in her lunch. I wonder who she learned that one from . . .
- The Vanilla Cashew Cream Dip – I've never seen such a “meant to be” couple
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY BREAKFAST CAKE IN THE INSTANT POT
- Mix up the batter
- Toss blueberries in flour
- Use a cookie scoop to divide batter into trays
- Scatter blueberries on top of the batter, don't stir them in!
- Use mason jar lids to stack the trays on top of each other
- Cook for 5 minutes, Done!
BREAKFAST CAKE VARIATIONS
Our favorite versions of these cakes are:
- Chopped strawberries and mini chocolate chips
- Raisins with added cinnamon to the batter
- Diced apples and walnuts
For a full size Breakfast Cake version try:
- Instant Pot Blackberry Almond Breakfast Cake
- Instant Pot Strawberry Lemon Poppy Seed Breakfast Cake
- Instant Pot Gluten Free Peach Melba Breakfast Cake
TIPS FOR MAKING SUCCESSFUL INSTANT POT BREAKFAST CAKES
- Use White Whole Wheat Flour. This type of flour is 100% whole grain but is lighter in texture and taste when compared to the darker Red Wheat Flour. Regular all-purpose flour could also be substituted and I suspect this Gluten Free Blend would also work
- Use THICK greek yogurt. Thin yogurt doesn't work well here
- Don't over mix the batter! Once you add the dry ingredients, mix just until it's incorporated, a few lumps are okay. Over mixing the batter will result in dense, chewy cakes
- Stack the trays with mason jar lids. This is important since the cakes will rise while cooking and you don't want the bottom cakes to be squished and dense
- Serve right away. While they are still yummy warmed up as leftovers, they really are the lightest and softest right after they are cooked
If you've loved the many Instant Pot Breakfast Cakes I've shared in Master the Electric Pressure Cooker, Instantly Sweet, and this blog, you are sure to adore and devour this new quick cooking mini version. I will happily agree with my kiddos on this one, mini is just more fun to eat . . . sometimes. Don't go makin' my burgers mini.
PROTEIN FOR BREAKFAST
I've been hearing a lot about “Intermittent Fasting” diets lately and have a lot of respect for people who work hard to discover what makes their body feel good, but I for one can't/won't skip breakfast. For me, starting my day fueled by a whole grain, high protein breakfast is a must. Heaven knows even on a full belly, three young children can push my patience to it's limit, I've got to have my breakfast ammo to keep going when mornings get tough.
Some of the most talked about benefits of a healthy, high protein breakfast are:
- Increased satiety and decreased food cravings
- Stable glucose levels
- Weight loss/weight maintenance
- Energy for all of life's demands
- Might I add: Patience, according to an 8-year study done by yours truly
QUICK HIGH PROTEIN BREAKFAST IDEAS
- Instant Pot Oatmeal Muffins AKA Beebo Bites
- Instant Pot Egg Bites
- Instant Pot Blueberry Oatmeal (made custard-like with the addition of eggs)
TOOLS/INGREDIENTS USED TO MAKE INSTANT POT BLUEBERRY BREAKFAST CAKESPrint
Instant Pot Mini Blueberry Breakfast Cakes
These Instant Pot Blueberry Breakfast Cakes are proving the old saying that great things come in small packages. Cute, soft, and loaded with protein and whole grains, these are a delicious AND healthy way to start your day
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 14 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 5 eggs
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup greek yogurt (don't use a thin yogurt)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 ½ tablespoons of flour
- Optional: Vanilla Cashew Cream or maple syrup for topping
- Lightly grease 2 silicone egg bite trays.
- Whisk together the eggs and sugar until smooth. Add the butter, yogurt, and vanilla until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Combine with egg mixture just until incorporated.
- Toss blueberries in flour and set them aside.
- Use a cookie scoop that measures about ¼ cup to divide batter into the egg bite trays
- Place four to five blueberries on top of each batter. Do not mix them in, just place them on top.
- Stack one of the filled molds on top of a trivet. Place 4 narrow mason jar lids on top followed by the second silicone mold.
- Pour 1 cup water into the pressure cooker pot, place the trivet and filled silicone molds inside.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a natural release for 10 minutes and then release any remaining pressure.
- Let the breakfast cakes cool if needed for handling.
- Using a butter knife or spoon, scrape around each cake to release it, then turn them over on to a cooling rack or plate.
- Enjoy warm as is or with a side of syrup or Sweet Cashew Cream for dipping.
- Store extras in the refrigerator. Delicious chilled or warmed up from the fridge. Freeze beautifully as well.
- Frozen blueberries slow down the cooking process and make the cakes a bit wet, but in a pinch, if you need to use frozen, add 3 minutes cook time
- To speed things up in the morning, mix all the wet ingredients in a bowl the night before, cover and refrigerate. Place dry ingredients in a quart size resealable bag. In the morning, dump dry ingredients into the wet and proceed with the directions
Keywords: instant pot, Breakfast Cake, healthy breakfast
Welcome! I’m Marci, wife to my motorcycle dream man and mother of 3. I have a passion for creating and cooking delicious masterpieces in my kitchen and am ecstatic to share my discoveries on TIDBITS! I like my food tasty, wholesome, memorable, and always, ALWAYS followed by dark, salty chocolate.