Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup, drizzled with ranch and topped with Blue Cheese Nachos. Easier and healthier than classic chicken wings and a whole lot tastier!
I can't think of buffalo anything without being taken back to week 9, pregnant with twins.
I had recently read the Twilight series (oh yes I did, don't hate) and felt I could strongly relate to how vampires feel when they are positively dying of thirst.
Hunger in pregnancy isn't just “hungry.” It's “bring me my food right now or my behavior is about to get all kinds of mean, sassy, and altogether super inappropriate. I'm dying, people!!! I need food more than I need that burger cooked through!!!”
Times that by 2 babies, and holy cow! I was a wreck when food service was slow.
By the time my food had arrived, I'd eaten through the bread basket and started drinking my husband's Buffalo hot sauce.
I dove into my 1/3 pound burger with blue cheese, bacon, onion rings, and avocado with absolutely no care what anyone thought of me dipping my burger into, not one, but TWO cups of buffalo hot sauce, surely sporting sauce all over my face and hands as I did.
I've never been so sick in all my life.
That didn't stop me from doing it the next weekend, but my point is, I REALLY LOVE BUFFALO SAUCE.
So much so that I try to find as many ways to incorporate it as possible.
Viola, Buffalo Chicken Soup!
Is it spicy? Yes, it is.
Should you throw all caution to the wind and try it? Yes, yes you should. Cuz guess what: Blue Cheese Nachos!
Don't even say you hate blue cheese right now. You just need to eat it for a month straight and you'll discover how much you love it. Or try this Blue Cheese Cheesecake – that's my birthday cake for 5 years running.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE BUFFALO CHICKEN SOUP
- This soup is reminiscent of a warm, comforting chili, but with a tang that only Frank's Buffalo Hot Sauce can give you.
- Blue Cheese Nachos!!! Go big and get blue tortilla/corn chips just because it'll look so cool.
- You know the appetizer of chicken wings, carrot sticks, celery sticks, ranch dressing, and blue cheese crumbles? Yep, this has got all that, but it's not deep-fried and heavy and doesn't require you to eat meat off a bone (can't do it).
- Can't handle the heat? Add some cream cheese and you've got creamy, cool Buffalo Chicken Soup!
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT BUFFALO CHICKEN SOUP AND BLUE CHEESE NACHOS
- Saute the veggies in butter
- Add chicken, tomatoes, hot sauce, and tomato sauce – DO NOT STIR!
- Cook for 20 minutes
- Shred the chicken and stir it back into the soup
- Spread chips on a pan or plate, top with blue cheese
- Melt cheese in the microwave or under the broiler – watch close that the chips don't burn
SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR DETAILED COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
Ladle yourself a big bowl of soup, drizzle it with ranch dressing or yogurt and top with a handful of nachos. Yum!
I can't even type anymore, I just want to eat this picture.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST BUFFALO CHICKEN SOUP
- I've discovered that cutting a chicken breast into 3-4 pieces (the short way) results in tender chicken every time. It works! Try it!
- Be sure to add the liquids in the order described in the instructions and DO NOT STIR! This will prevent the burn signal which tomato products tend to cause.
- Use Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce. It's easy to find and has the best flavor. It's also milder than regular hot sauce.
- For the best flavor, use SMOKED PAPRIKA vs regular paprika. It brings amazing flavor to the table.
- If you really just don't like blue cheese, go ahead and make a plate of cheddar or pepper jack nachos. But really, GIVE BLUE CHEESE ANOTHER CHANCE!
HOW TO STORE, REHEAT, AND FREEZE BUFFALO CHICKEN SOUP
- Store: Cool leftovers then store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Reheat: The soup reheats well in the microwave, on the stovetop, or in the Instant Pot on saute.
- Freeze: Cool leftovers then freeze flat in a freezer-safe ziplock for quick thawing later on.
- Add 4-6 ounces of cream cheese for a creamy, less spicy version.
- Add a can of pinto, black, or cannellini beans for a Buffalo Chicken Chili vibe.
- Instead of nachos, serve with chili toppings like sour cream, avocado, grated cheese, etc.
So what do you think? Can you handle the heat? Are you going to give ol' blue cheese another try? Can I invite you over to dinner and insist you eat your Buffalo Chicken Chili before you get any Hot Cocoa Cheesecake?
It honestly is so fabulous, I know you'll love it!
MORE OF MY BUFFALO HOT SAUCE FAVORITES
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Waffle Fries with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
MORE INSTANT POT SOUP RECIPES
- Instant Pot Broccoli Zucchini Cheddar Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Ravioli Butternut Squash Soup
- Healthy Instant Pot Soup Recipes Roundup
TOOLS/INGREDIENTS USED TO MAKE INSTANT POT BUFFALO CHICKEN CHILI
- Instant Pot
- Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
- Blue Corn Chips – I like this Garden of Eatin' brand. Look for it at your grocery store.
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup with Blue Cheese Nachos
Mildly spicy Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup topped with a drizzle of ranch dressing and Blue Cheese Nachos. It's better than chicken wings!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (regular paprika will work in a pinch)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breast, each breast cut into 3–4 pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- ¼ – ⅓ cup Franks Red Hot Buffalo Hot Sauce (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- Optional: 4 oz cream cheese for a more mild soup
- corn or tortilla chips (I like blue chips for this soup)
- blue cheese crumbles
- Ranch dressing or sour cream
- Select saute on the pressure cooker and add butter.
- When melted, add carrots, onions, celery, garlic, smoked paprika, and salt; saute 2 minutes.
- Add chicken breast and stir to coat the chicken with seasonings.
- In this order, add bay leaf, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, hot sauce, and tomato sauce; DO NOT STIR.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 20 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a natural release.
- Remove chicken from pot and cut or shred into bite sized pieces. Return chicken to pot.
- Optional: for a less spicy soup, add cream cheese and stir until combined.
- To make Blue Cheese Nachos, arrange a single layer of chips on a microwave safe dish, top with crumbled blue cheese and microwave for 15-20 seconds. Could also do this under the oven broiler on a sheet pan, but watch closely that the chips don’t burn.
- Scoop soup into a bowl, drizzle with ranch dressing, sour cream, or yogurt. Top with a handful of Blue Cheese Nachos and enjoy!
- The soup is spicy. If you prefer less spice, decrease the hot sauce or add the cream cheese mentioned in the ingredients. Topping it with ranch or yogurt will also cool it down; this is my preference.
- Smoked paprika gives this soup an amazing flavor. Regular paprika will work in a pinch.
- Add canned beans for a chili like soup.
Keywords: buffalo chicken, instant pot soup, healthy soup recipes
Welcome! I’m Marci, wife to my motorcycle dream man and mother of 3. I have a passion for creating and cooking delicious masterpieces in my kitchen and am ecstatic to share my discoveries on TIDBITS! I like my food tasty, wholesome, memorable, and always, ALWAYS followed by dark, salty chocolate.