Chicken and Corn Chowder is so creamy, quick, and easy in the Instant Pot! The addition of sweet potato here turns the same ol' boring chowder into Dynamite Healthy Pow Chow!
The second the weather starts to turn late summer, I start busting out my favorite soups, stews, and chilis, like a crazy person. At the top of my “must make before the end of the endless Utah winter” list are Magic Sunshine Soup, Enchilada Soup, Tomato Basil Soup, and Triple Bean Chili.
The number one on that list for 10 years running is this Chicken and Corn Chowder recipe from Mel's Kitchen. Oh my heavens, it is AMAZING!!!
Our first year of marriage, my husband made it clear to me that soup WAS NOT a meal, it was an appetizer. I immediately set out to prove him dead wrong.
The road wasn't easy. I recall one night that I presented the most glorious French Onion Soup ever, and he walked right out the door and got a Mcdonald's hamburger. Sparks flew that night, but not in the happy “honeymoon stage” kind of way.
The first soup to finally win his heart was Mel's corn chowder recipe, and quite frankly I was shocked. He despised sweet potatoes at the time so when he exclaimed, “The carrots in this soup are so good!” I just smiled and ran with it.
I have been trying to Instant Pot-atize this recipe for 2 years now. Every trial left me with overcooked sweet potatoes, chewy chicken, and overly sweet, watered-down flavor. Which is just so disappointing, when you know how it SHOULD taste.
I'm proud to say that I've finally FIGURED IT OUT!
For this new Instant Pot version, I swap chicken breasts for cubed chicken tenders, cook the sweet potatoes in a steamer basket above the chicken and use a homemade cornbread mix instead of the overly sweet box of Jiffy.
The results? Perfectly sweet, creamy, healthy corn chowder with a mind-blowing pressure cooking time of 2 minutes! Are you onboard?
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS EASY CORN CHOWDER
- Perfect results in half the time AND half the hands-on effort
- Every wholesome bite is like a big hug of love
- With the nix of typical heavy corn chowder ingredients like bacon grease and heavy cream, you can joyfully devour three bowls
- It will convince all the doubters that soup is, indeed, a meal
HOW TO MAKE A CREAMY, HEALTHY CORN CHOWDER WITHOUT THE CREAM
- Mix up a whole grain, sugar-free, cornbread mix
- Combine it with skim or low-fat milk – set aside for later
- Saute your onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of butter
- Add seasonings and sweat the onions a few minutes to get them goin'
- Add your cubed chicken tenders and broth
- Top with a steamer basket full of sweet potatoes and cook for 2 minutes
- After you release the pressure, bring it to a simmer and whisk in the milk mixture, it will thicken quite quickly
- Add the sweet potatoes back in, along with some sweet corn, cheese, and parsley
- Eat up!
SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR DETAILED COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
Serve it with some Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread and a big salad. I believe we will all agree (including my anti-soup meal husband) that this is one seriously rockin' meal.
HOW TO STORE, REHEAT, AND FREEZE CORN CHOWDER
- Store: Cool leftovers and store in the fridge for up to five days.
- Reheat: Gently reheat in a pan on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Freeze: This soup becomes a little grainy after it's frozen, so I do not suggest freezing it.
VARIATIONS OF CORN CHOWDER
- Top with bacon – Okay, I know what I said about bacon above, but if you cook the bacon in the microwave, oven, or skillet, you'll be leaving all the grease behind. It's totally not a must, but salty, crunchy bacon on top is nothing short of amazing
- If you reallllyyyyy don't like sweet potatoes, you could swap for russet or Yukon potatoes. I suspect the cooking time would need to increase 3 – 4 minutes.
- If you've got boxes of Jiffy hangin' around that you really want to use, substitute 1 cup of Jiffy mix in place of the homemade version, in the recipe
MORE CREAMY INSTANT POT SOUP RECIPES
- Instant Pot Creamy Asparagus Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Ravioli Butternut Squash Soup
TOOLS USED TO MAKE INSTANT POT CORN CHOWDERPrint
Instant Pot Creamy Chicken and Corn Chowder Recipe
Healthy, Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder with a delicious twist of sweet potatoes, whipped up in minutes in the Instant Pot
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
For the Homemade Cornbread Mix (may substitute with 1 cup of Jiffy)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
For the Chowder
- 3 cups skim, 1%, or 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 small or 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into small bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenderloins, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (I like sharp, but any kind will work)
- 2 cups frozen corn or 1 15 oz can, drained
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk in milk. Set aside.
- Select saute on the pressure cooker and add butter. When melted, add onions and garlic and stir. Place lid on pot, allow onions to sweat 3-4 minutes until soft, checking on them after 2 minutes to make sure they don't burn. Add salt, cumin, and oregano, stir.
- Add chicken tenderloins and chicken broth.
- Place a steamer basket inside and place chopped sweet potatoes in it
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 2 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a natural release for 5 minutes and then release any remaining pressure.
- Set steamer basket with sweet potatoes aside.
- Select saute and bring soup to a light simmer. Give the cornmeal/milk mixture (from step 1) an extra stir, then pour into the pot while whisking. Let the soup simmer until thick, 3-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Return sweet potatoes to the pot with the cheese, corn, and parsley, stir until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. May add extra broth to thin, if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers for 3-5 days. This soup does not freeze well.
- Chicken tenderloins and boneless, skinless chicken thighs have the most tender results in comparison to chicken breast. If using bite-size pieces of chicken breast, the cooking time will remain the same
- May use 1 cup of dry Jiffy or Bob's Red Mill Cornbread Mix in place of the homemade mix.
Keywords: instant pot soup, chicken corn chowder, healthy corn chowder