Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup with Cheesy Ravioli and Sausage – this soup is hands down the family favorite at my house and it comes together quick and easy!
Can I speak to the children in the audience for a sec? (Pretending that a child/teenager would actually be reading my blog right now).
When you're mom/dad/grandparent/whoever lovingly takes the time to put a warm, comforting meal on the table and you react with,
“YAY!!! I LOVE THIS MEAL SO MUCH! YOU'RE THE BEST MOM! THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER!!!”
Followed by hugs, jumping up and down, and handclaps . . . Dang, it's just the best thing ever.
Like seriously, I'm choking up right now just thinking about it. Yep, a tear literally just rolled down my cheek.
Dear child/teenager/grownup child, just do it for me once this week. Jump up and down like a crazy person and gleefully exclaim, “THIS IS THE GREATEST MEAL EVER!” and just watch your mom's/dad's/whoever's face light up like the sun.
That is precisely the reaction I get every time I serve this Creamy, Cheesy, Ravioli Butternut Squash.
It doesn't matter if you like butternut squash or not, you are going to flip for this soup.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE INSTANT POT BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH RAVIOLI
- The flavor is savory, just a tiny bit sweet (but not weirdly so like many butternut soups I've tested) with a hint of herbs that make me reminisce of Thanksgiving.
- Mini, bite-size, cheese ravioli. They are so darn delightful I can hardly stand it.
- Smoky bites of sausage throughout that so perfectly compliment the butternut squash flavor.
- Super easy and quick. Hard to find that feature in flavor-packed comfort food like this!
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil
- Add the spices, herbs, squash, and broth and pressure cook
- Add cream cheese and parmesan cheese
- Puree until silky smooth
- Add ravioli and simmer until they rise to the top
- Stir in the sausage
SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR DETAILED COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
Mmmm . . . I've had this soup so many times I can literally taste, smell, and feel the bowl in my hands. Pure heaven this one.
TIPS FOR MAKING EASY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP IN THE INSTANT POT
- I've made this with my garden butternut squash, with diced butternut squash from the produce section, and with squash from the frozen section. They all taste amazing so if the thought of cutting up a butternut squash is holding you back right now, go ahead and get yourself an already prepped bag of squash!
- I prefer Philadelphia Whipped Cream Cheese vs the bars of cream cheese. It tastes and feels lighter to me, but to be honest, no one else noticed a difference so I wouldn't say it's a game-changer.
- Mini ravioli definitely make this soup easier to eat. Tortellini are also a good option but don't hold a candle to the ravioli in my opinion. If you can't find mini ravioli, go ahead and use regular size. It'll be a tad messy to eat, but you won't be sad by any means.
- Buy precooked sausage. I prefer chicken sausage, but the only brands I like are Trader Joe's and Aidells. They both proudly create hormone-free, gluten-free, antibiotic-free, nitrite-free products which is fantastic, because they are also the best of any brand I've ever tasted. They have a huge variety of flavors as well. I, of course, always go for the spicy sausage, but just about any kind will work in this soup.
HOW TO STORE, REHEAT, AND FREEZE CHEESY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- Store: Cool leftovers and store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Reheat: Leftovers reheat perfectly in the microwave, on the stovetop, or in the Instant Pot on saute.
- Freeze: I have never frozen this soup (we fight over leftovers if they exist) but I suspect it might thaw a bit grainy because of the cream cheese. If you try it, let me know!
I can't wait for you to serve this one to your family!
It's one of those foods that instantly takes you to this happy, almost meditative state of mind, regardless of the chaos surrounding you.
Do you know what I mean? I know there must be others that find peace, love, and hope from a simple bowl of soup, right?
Once you take a few slurps of this soup, you'll understand. “Marci's not crazy,” you'll say, “She's 100% right.”
Enjoy your bliss-filled soup!
MORE INSTANT POT SOUPS WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH
- Instant Pot Thai Style Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Instant Pot Sunshine Soup AKA Turmeric Soup
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Nacho Cheese (okay it's not a soup, but I eat it by the spoonful sooooo . . .)
MORE INSTANT POT SOUP RECIPES
- Instant Pot Broccoli Zucchini Cheddar Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Healthy Instant Pot Soup Recipes Roundup
TOOLS USED TO MAKE INSTANT POT RAVIOLI BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- Instant Pot
- Immersion Blender
Instant Pot Creamy Ravioli Butternut Squash Soup
Creamy, cheesy Butternut Squash Soup filled with mini ravioli and smoked sausage. It will become a new family favorite!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed in palm
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 24 oz package cubed butternut squash (or peel and cube a fresh one, you’ll need about 5 cups cubed)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 oz whipped cream cheese
- ⅓ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 16 oz cheese stuffed mini ravioli
Optional: 12 oz fully cooked sausage like Aidells (pick your favorite flavor!)
- Select sauté on the pressure cooker and add oil. When hot, add onions and garlic and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add rosemary, thyme, sage, salt, pepper, butternut squash and chicken broth; stir.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 15 minutes.
- If using sausage, heat through per package directions. Slice into bite size pieces. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- When pressure cooking is complete, use a quick release.
- Add cream cheese and parmesan. Blend with an immersion blender right in the pot until very smooth or carefully pour into a blender and purée, until smooth.
- Press sauté or brown to bring soup to a boil. Add pasta and cook per package instructions. Typically once the pasta floats to the top, it’s done.
- Stir in sausage.
- Season to taste. Serve hot.
- Precut butternut squash is easy to find in most produce sections. If you don’t see it there, look in the freezer aisle.
- Use fully cooked sausage. I like the smoked sausage at Trader Joe's or the Aidells brand.
- Look for MINI ravioli. The soup is a little tricky to eat if the ravioli are large.
Keywords: instant pot soup, butternut squash soup, healthy soup recipes