Instant Pot Easy French Onion Soup
Rich, deep French Onion Flavor in a fraction of the time with the Instant Pot!
- Author: Marci
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: French
- 4 –5 medium sweet or yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (use up to 1 1/2 teaspoons, if you like it spicy)
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- splash of hot sauce (optional)
- Homemade Croutons (see notes)
- shredded asiago cheese or Gruyere, white cheddar, fontina, or swiss
- Cut the root and top end off of an onion. Slice the onion in half from top to bottom and remove the peel. Lay flat side on the cutting board and slice the onion into about 3/4 inch wide moon shapes. Repeat with remaining onions.
- Preheat the pressure cooker by selecting saute. When hot, add butter.
- When butter is melted, bubbling, and starting to brown, add the onions, Worcestershire sauce, baking soda, thyme, garlic powder, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine ingredients.
- Cook just until onions start to release their juices, about 3 minutes.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 6 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a quick release.
- Add beef broth, tomato paste, and hot sauce (if using); stir to incorporate tomato paste.
- Use the saute function to warm up the broth. Turn pressure cooker off.
- Ladle soup into an oven safe bowl, top with croutons and shredded cheese, place under the oven broiler until the cheese and croutons start to brown.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- To make homemade croutons, use a sturdy bread like a baguette, french bread, sourdough, or homemade Crusty Bread. Slice into large bite size pieces. Place cubes on a sheet pan and lightly coat with olive oil or butter, salt, and pepper. Bake at 400° until browned and crunchy, about 10 minutes. Serve.
Keywords: instant pot recipes, french onion soup, healthy soup