This is the Instant Pot French Dip Sandwich of your dreams right here! Tender beef, au jus that's darn near drinkable, creamy horseradish sauce, and some more extras to give your sandwich crunch and personality. This is indeed the Best French Dip recipe I've ever had!
I spent way too much time trying to decide on a title for this recipe.
“French Dip” did not give this die-worthy sandwich near enough credit.
“French dip” is what gets served at massive family get-togethers because it's quick and easy and doesn't involve a lot of thought.
My title choices included the words “the best“, “gourmet“, “love of my life“, ” heal the world“. . . and then I stopped because my ideas were leading to nothing but annoying.
So the word to describe this anything but plain jane French Dip?
I know, I know. It's not even that exciting, but if the sea is blue let's call it blue. So I'm calling this Ultimate French Dip Sandwich an Ultimate French Dip Sandwich.
Once you've tried it, perhaps we can work on a better title together.
Anyways . . . this sandwich. Gah! It's so good!
Now you could definitely just whip up the meat and broth and have this on the table in 15 minutes, but if you're feeling fancy or deserving, let's dive a little deeper.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS INSTANT POT FRENCH DIP SANDWICH
- Juicy, thin-sliced beef, that you can drape over your hoagie (don't get me started on my anti SHREDDED beef for my french dip pedestal – it has to be paper-thin slices: the end).
- Melty provolone to hold the meat together and add the perfect amount of ooey gooey
- Au jus that is packed with FLAVOR. So good you'll drink what's left in your dipping cup.
- Creamy, homemade, good for you Horseradish Sauce and lots of it!
- Caramelized onions – the obvious pairing that's missing at those pot luck get-togethers
- A big pile of crunchy kettle chips cuz texture is my game
We're talking the kind of sandwich my kids actually decide to try because I'm making such a fuss over it.
“Did mom just say she'd pay $100 for this sandwich?”
“I could buy a huge lego set for that much.”
“She's probably just saying that just so we'll try it.”
Then curiosity kills the cat and suddenly we are all proclaiming that this sandwich is indeed “money”.
How I love when my kids join in my excitement of food.
HOW TO MAKE THE ULTIMATE FRENCH DIP SANDWICH
- Throw meat, broth, and seasonings into the pot, cook for 2 minutes at High Pressure
- While it cooks get your toppings together and whisk up the Horseradish Sauce
- Meat is done, time to assemble
- Toast the bun, top with meat, then melt the cheese under the broiler
- Slather with Horseradish Sauce
- Top with a handful of Kettle chips.
SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR DETAILED COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
Dip into a big cup of au jus and just tell me this isn't the most Ultimate French Dip sandwich you've ever experienced.
If you've got a better version, make room at your dinner table, I've got to check it out.
TIPS FOR MAKING AN INSTANT POT FRENCH DIP WORTH REMEMBERING
- Make these Instant Pot Caramelized Onions. They can be made and frozen ahead of time making this sandwich a breeze to pull together.
- The meat choice here is important. First, look in your meat department for “Beef Shaved Steak“. I find it at Smith's under the Kroger brand. If you can't find that, see if your favorite meat guy will slice a Cross Rib Roast deli thin. And if that doesn't work, go to the deli and ask for super rare roast beef and ask them to slice it as thin as they can without it falling apart.
- Go for a substantial steak or hoagie roll. You want to be able to really sop up that au jus without your bread falling to pieces. Tear out some of the insides of the bread to make even more room for meat, cheese, onions, and chips.
- Kettle Brand Potato Chips will stay crunchy until the last bite. Don't even try this with regular potato chips unless you want a sad, soggy chip experience, which is just, eww.
MORE YUMMY VARIATIONS
- Kettle Brand Chips -Jalapeno flavor. If you like spicy, this needs to be your chip of choice!
- Add stir-fried bell peppers. Browned mushrooms are also amazing.
- If you're not a horseradish fan, go for Sir Kensington's Avocado Oil Mayo – best mayo in the universe.
- Keep it simple: as I mentioned above, if you don't want all the fuss, this meat on a roll dipped in the au jus will be the most amazing 15-minute meal you've ever thrown together.
This is a perfect back pocket kind of dinner, my friends! Let's give sandwich night back it's full and deserving potential!
MORE SANDWICH RECIPES THAT I'M OBSESSED WITH
- Instant Pot Pepperoncini Beef Sandwich
- Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak
- Instant Pot Paprika Pork Pita
- Instant Pot Chipotle Ranch Chicken Wrap
TOOLS/INGREDIENTS USED TO MAKE THE ULTIMATE INSTANT POT FRENCH DIP SANDWICHPrint
The Ultimate Instant Pot French Dip Sandwich
Tender beef, flavorful au jus, and texture to the max, this really is the Ultimate French Dip Sandwich!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 2 pounds thinly sliced beef (look for Kroger Beef Shaved Steak or ask a butcher to slice a Cross Rib Roast deli thin)
- 2/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 quart beef broth
- ¼ cup dried minced onions or 1/2 cup sliced fresh onions, optional
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- PInch of red pepper flakes (optional for extra spice)
For the Horseradish Sauce:
- ½ cup yogurt (or sour cream)
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon of mayo
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
For serving: steak rolls or hoagie buns, sliced Provolone or Swiss cheese, Instant Pot Caramelized Onions, kettle cooked potato chips, Horseradish Sauce
- Place all of the ingredients into the pressure cooker pot. Stir to help separate the meat from itself.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 2 minutes.
- While the meat cooks, prepare horseradish sauce by whisking all the ingredients together in a small bowl (the sauce can be made up to 4 days in advance). Set aside.
- When pressure cooking is complete, use a quick release.
- Toast rolls under the oven broiler for 1-2 minutes until browned
- Top bottoms roll with meat. Top meat with caramelized onions and cheese and place under the broiler again to melt the cheese.
- Slather the top buns with horseradish sauce. Top sauce with a handful of kettle cooked potato chips. Close the sandwich and press down to crush the chips slightly.
- Serve immediately with a cup of the juice, AKA Au Jus, from the pot for dipping.
- Look for “Shaved Beef” in you meat department. If that's not available, have your butcher slice a Cross Rib Roast VERY thin for you or got to the deli counter and ask for RARE thinly sliced roast beef.
- Horseradish sauce can be made up to 4 days in advance and stored in the fridge.
- Leftovers freeze very well. The horseradish sauce does not.
- There is plenty of au jus so the meat can easily be doubled if desired.
Keywords: Instant Pot French Dip, Easy French Dip Sandwich, Best French Dip Sandwich
This was delicious and easy. I immediately shared with family and friends. I would recommend getting some French bread for leftover au jus.
Stacy W says
Every bit as good as promised!
Marci, my husband and I are on a low-carb diet. I would LOVE to make these, but the amount of carbs in this seems way too low because of the hoagie rolls. Is the 7.9 grams accurate?
Lynn, sorry for the confusion! I checked my data and It looks like it didn’t include the roll. I updated it!
My store has shaved ribeye or shaved chuck to choose from. Which would you recommend? Thanks!
Jenny, either would work, I’d probably just go with the one that looks the least fatty so you don’t have to deal with it on your sandwich.
I made this from my InstaFreeze meal!! It was absolutely delicious!! And so easy!!
Denise, now you just need to add caramelized onions and kettle chips. Oh my heck it’s so yummy!