Instant Pot Hasselback Apples – Healthy Dessert!
Healthy, wholesome Instant Pot Hasselback Apples is a dessert for everyday!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 3 medium size apples (Honeycrisp or Pink Lady are the best)
For the Caramel Sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons creamy almond butter or peanut butter (see note)
- pinch of kosher salt
For the Oat Topping
- ¼ cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons roasted pecans, chopped (see note)
- 2 teaspoons white whole wheat flour (any flour will work)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
Optional for serving: lightly sweetened whipped cream
- Wash and peel 3 apples. Use an apple corer to remove the center (alternatively you can use a spoon or melon baller to scrape out the center after you cut the apples in half)
- Cut apples in half from top to bottom and lay them cut side down.
- Use a sharp knife to carefully cut ¼ inch slices into, but not all the way through, the apple.
- Place each apple into a ramekin.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Caramel Sauce ingredients
- Brush half of the caramel sauce over the apples. Reserve the rest.
- Add 1 cup of water to the pressure cooker pot and place a short trivet inside.
- Place 3 ramekins on the trivet, then stack the remaining ramekins 3 ramekins on top (do not stack them directly on top of the bottom ramekins, but on the rims – see picture above for example).
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 4 – 5 minutes (4 for tender crisp, 5 for soft).
- While the apples are cooking, toss together the oats, pecans, flour, and optional coconut for the oat topping. Add the remaining caramel sauce and stir to combine.
- When pressure cooking is complete, use a quick release.
- Top each apple with the oat topping.
- Optional: Use your oven broiler or Mealthy CrispLid to brown the oat topping. If using the CrispLid, cook at 300 degrees for about 3 minutes or until it is browned to your liking.
- Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream and serve immediately.
- For the almond/peanut butter, I prefer the unsweetened brands that need to be stirred, but any kind will work.
- For the roasted pecans, you can roast your own in the oven or simply buy a can of roasted pecans (I prefer the canned pecans).
- Cook time will vary depending on how soft you want your apple. 4 minutes is crisp tender, 5 minutes is softer and easily cut with a fork, and 6 minutes is very soft.
- The oat topping is amazing whether you decide to brown it or leave it uncooked.
Keywords: Instant Pot dessert, hasselback apples, baked apples, apple desserts