Instant Pot Healthy Orange Chicken with Mango Black Bean Salsa
Sweet and Spicy Citrus Instant Pot Chicken served over rice and topped with an incredible Mango Black Bean Salsa
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Asian
For the Chicken
- 2 – 3 chicken breasts, each cut horizontally into thirds
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1–3 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (1 for mild, 3 for SPICY!)
- ½ cup lite coconut milk
- 10 ounce jar of kumquat marmalade (about ¾ cup), can substitute with orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
For the Rice
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Pinch of salt
Mango Black Bean Salsa – can be made a day or two ahead
- 2 large mangos, chopped
- 1 cup rinsed and drained black beans
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup corn (canned, fresh, or frozen)
- ¼ cup minced green onions
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, deveined, and minced (leave seeds in for a spicier salsa)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 orange
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place orange juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, salt, ginger, chili garlic sauce, and coconut milk into the pressure cooker pot, whisk to combine.
- Add chicken to the pot.
- Scoop marmalade on top of the chicken – see note for why I don’t stir it in.
- Place trivet over the chicken and place a metal pan on top (like a cake pan or a leak proof springform pan).
- To the cake pan add rice, chicken broth, and salt.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a natural release.
- Fluff rice and set aside.
- Place chicken on a plate and shred into large chunks.
- Combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water.
- Press saute to bring orange sauce to a light simmer, then whisk in cornstarch slurry until it thickens, about 1 minute.
- Return chicken to the sauce and stir to coat.
- To serve: Scoop rice onto a plate and top with chicken and sauce. Finish with a large scoop of Mango Black Bean Salsa.
- Optional serving suggestion: serve orange chicken with salsa in lettuce wraps for a lighter meal or fancy appetizer
- To give the chicken an extra boost of flavor, marinate it overnight in the sauce ingredients (minus the marmalade)
- Use LITE coconut milk, regular may be too thick to come to pressure
- I use St. Dalfour Kumquat Marmalade for natural, no sugar added sweetness (I ordered it on Amazon). Orange marmalade can be substituted
- Don’t stir in the marmalade, scooping it on top of the chicken keeps it off the bottom surface of the pot so it doesn’t burn
- Rice can be omitted from the recipe or cooked in another pressure cooker. The cook time is too short for brown rice
- If time is short, you can release the pressure after a 10 minute natural release, but I find that the chicken is more tender and the rice more soft with a full natural release
- Salsa tastes best on the second day, but the colors aren’t as vibrant
Keywords: Sweet and Spicy chicken, healthy orange chicken, one pot meal