Instant Pot Hot Chocolate Cheesecake with a silky Marshmallow Ganache glaze that will have everyone reminiscing of sipping on a hot cup of marshmallow covered cocoa. Easy yet elegant, this cheesecake is a game changer.
Well Hello there you little thorn-in-my-side and finally perfect cheesecake. Wow, did this one give me some drama.
I really wanted to create the perfect cold-weather cheesecake. Instantly I dreamt of a hot cup of cocoa and thought:
“YES! I'M GONNA MAKE A HOT CHOCOLATE INSPIRED CHEESECAKE AND TOP IT WITH MELTY MARSHMALLOWS AND IT IS GOING TO BE WONDERFUL AND AMAZING AND EVERYONE WILL LOVE IT!”
Someone forgot to tell the cheesecake it was meant for awesomeness.
Three trials in, the cheesecake was still too short, the ganache was lumpy and more of a cream color instead of “pretty white marshmallow” color, and I just about gave up.
Then my daughter repeated something I've said to them many times, “Why would you give up now when you could possibly be on the verge of something great?”
On that note, I really couldn't throw in the towel.
So I went back to the drawing board, analyzed, tweaked, tweaked some more, and wouldn't you know it:
I CREATED SOMETHING GREAT!!!
I took my final TADA to a family party and it was the star of the show.
- “Oh my gosh, the cheesecake really tastes like hot chocolate!”
- “What is this sauce on top? It's unlike any ganache I've ever tasted!”
- “Hurry and cut me two slices and hide it.”
- “My mom made it, she's a famous chef.” Thanks son.
With reviews like that, my daughter's voice echoed in my mind, “Why would you give up now when you could be on the verge of something great?”
I wonder how many times I've given up in life when “great” was just around the corner.
And who knew a cheesecake could result in so much inner reflection, haha.
Moving along . . .
WHY YOU WILL LOVE HOT CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE
- The cheesecake is made with actual hot chocolate powder and really does make you think “hot chocolate” instead of “just another chocolate cheesecake”.
- The Marshmallow Ganache!!! It's a cross between a white chocolate ganache with a firmness/fluffiness that almost reminds me of super creamy fondant. It's hard to explain, it's just remarkable!
- It's a looker! Decorate it with mini marshmallows and just wait for the crowds to be dazzled!
HOW TO MAKE HOT COCOA CHEESECAKE IN THE INSTANT POT
- Make the Oreo crust, press it flat into the pan (not up the sides), and throw it in the freezer
- Cream the cream cheese and sugar until smooth
- Mix in the hot cocoa, marshmallow cream, and vanilla
- Stir in the eggs
- Pour the filling into the crust and cook for 30 minutes
- Let it cool to room temperature then chill it completely
- For the ganache, put chopped white candy melts in a bowl
- Heat the cream and pour over the melts. Top with marshmallow cream and cover for 3-4 minutes until chocolate is completely melted
- Whisk until smooth
- Let it sit for about 30 minutes to cool and thicken
- Pour over the cheesecake
- Let it drip off the sides to make it extra pretty
SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR DETAILED COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
TIPS FOR MAKING AN AMAZING HOT COCOA CHEESECAKE
AKA, what I learned after several redos
- Press the crust flat into the pan, not up the sides. This gives it more height so it can stand up to some solid garnishing.
- Most of my cheesecakes use a 1:1 ratio of eggs to cream cheese (1 egg for every 8 ounces block of cream cheese). This recipe needed an extra egg for extra height and lightness.
- Always use room temperature eggs and cream cheese. For this cheesecake, you'll want the marshmallow cream at room temperature as well.
- Look for a hot cocoa mix with minimal ingredients. Mine contained sugar, nonfat milk, cocoa, and salt.
- Chill the cheesecake completely before topping with the ganache. This will keep the ganache from getting too warm and sliding off the cheesecake.
- Use white candy melts for the ganache. White chocolate bars and chips tend to be more cream colored than actual white. If that doesn't bother you though, go for it! My preference is the Ghirardelli White Melting Wafers because they taste really good and are beautifully white. You can also use white coloring gel (this I've never tried but have heard it works wonders).
- Make sure to chop up the candy melts before pouring the hot cream over top. If they don't melt completely, you will have lumps in your pretty ganache.
- After pouring the cream over the candy melts, I top it with the marshmallow cream, then top it with a lid. This allows the residual heat to soften the marshmallow cream while still keeping the candy melts fully submerged under the hot cream.
- Let the ganache cool before pouring it over the cheesecake. My suggestion is to wait 30 minutes, give it a good stir then slowly start pouring it over the cheesecake. It's so thick and sturdy that even after I poured the entire batch of ganache on top, I had to tilt the cheesecake slightly to get it to drip over the edges just a bit. If the ganache starts dripping over the edges quickly as your pouring, stop immediately, and chill the ganache for 5 minutes or so in the fridge before you try again. This ganache is so good, you don't want any of it left behind on the counter!
HOW TO STORE CHEESECAKE
- Store the cheesecake in a sealed container in the fridge. All elements of the cake still tasted fantastic on day 4.
- I suspect this one would also freeze well. I'd be a little nervous about the ganache layer, but I think it's worth a try.
VARIATION OF HOT CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE
- For decorating, dip marshmallows in chocolate and use them to garnish the top of the cake.
- Use your favorite flavored hot cocoa mix or try adding a few drops of mint extract or peppermint oil into the cheesecake layer. Mint Hot Cocoa Cheesecake!
- For a summer spin, use a graham cracker crust and top with roasted marshmallows for a S'more vibe.
- Top the ganache with a sprinkle of crushed peppermint candies to make it look extra festive.
MORE INSTANT POT CHEESECAKES TO TRY ASAP
- Banana Cream Pie Cheesecake
- Triple Layer Peppermint Cheesecake
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake
- German Chocolate Cheesecake
So what do you think? Would you like a slice of Hot Chocolate Cheesecake with a cup of Hot Cocoa on the side? Sounds like a dream team, a sugar buzz, and a show stopper party idea all in one.
I can't wait for you to try it! Come back and comment to let me know what you think of this one! It's been a labor of love, this cheesecake, I'm excited to hear what you think.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE INSTANT POT HOT CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE
- Instant Pot
- 7 inch Springform Pan
- Marshmallow Cream
- Ghirardelli White Melting Wafers (You'll likely find them near the chocolate chips at your local grocery store)
Instant Pot Hot Chocolate Cheesecake with Marshmallow Ganache
A hot cup of cocoa turned into a cheesecake!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 1 ½ cups crushed Oreo Cookies (I throw the whole package in a blender and freeze what’s leftover)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
For Cheesecake Filling
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese at room temperature (Philadelphia Brand if possible)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup marshmallow cream, room temperature
- ⅓ cup hot cocoa mix
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
For the Marshmallow Ganache
- 4 ounces white candy melts, roughly chopped or white chocolate chips (see note)
- 1 cup marshmallow cream, room temperature
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- Spray a 7-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. If desired, line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper for easy removal of the cake once it’s done.
- To make crust: Stir cookie crumbs and melted butter together and press evenly across the bottom of the pan. Place in the freezer to set, while you prepare the filling.
- To make cheesecake filling: Cream the cream cheese and sugar with a handheld mixer until very smooth; scrape the bowl and mix again.
- Add marshmallow cream, hot cocoa mix, and vanilla extract; mix until smooth, scraping the sides at least once to make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Add eggs, use hand mixer to barely combine, about 5 seconds, then stir in the rest of the way with a spatula.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and fill with the cheesecake mixture.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water to the pressure cooker pot and place trivet inside.
- Carefully lower the prepared pan onto the trivet.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 30 minutes.
- When pressure cooking is complete turn the pressure cooker off. Use a 10-minute natural release and then release any remaining pressure.
- Remove pan from pressure cooker and place on a cooling rack. Use a paper towel to soak up any excess water from the top of the cake. Let it cool on a cooling rack for about an hour.
- Cover and place cheesecake in the refrigerator and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Once the cheesecake is chilled, prepare the Marshmallow Ganache: Place candy melts or white chocolate chips in a heat safe bowl.
- In a small pan on the stove top, heat whipping cream over medium high heat until bubbles form around the edges.
- Pour whipping cream over the chocolate. Top with 1 cup marshmallow cream and cover the bowl tightly for 3-4 minutes until the chocolate is melted. Whisk until smooth.
- Cool 30 minutes or so until it’s thick and at room temperature. You want it to be thick, yet pourable.
- Remove the ring from the cheesecake. Slowly pour the ganache into the center of the cheesecake. It should naturally start to drape over the sides of the cheesecake. If needed, tip the cheesecake from side to side to encourage the ganache to spill off the sides a bit. If it’s running quickly off the cake, stop, chill the ganache in the fridge, then try again.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour to set the ganache. Decorate the top with mini marshmallows and a sprinkle of cookie crumbs; serve.
- The hot cocoa mix I use contains sugar, nonfat milk, cocoa, and salt. I’m not sure if additional ingredients in the hot cocoa mix would make a difference in the outcome or not.
- I like to use Ghirardelli White Melting Wafers to make the ganache. They taste good and are a true white color. White chocolate chips and white chocolate bars are a cream color and you will need to add white food color gel to it if you want a true white.
- The trick to the ganache is to have it cooled enough that it is very thick, but pourable. When poured into the center of the cold cheesecake, it will very slowly drape over the sides of the cake, stopping before it hits the bottom of the pan. If it’s too thin, it will all pour off the sides of the cheesecake and you’ll end up with most of your yummy ganache on the counter.
- The cheesecake can be eaten right after the ganache is poured over top, but it’s a bit messy. Chilling the ganache will help set it so your slices are clean and pretty.
Keywords: Instant Pot Cheesecake, Hot Chocolate Cheesecake, White Chocolate Ganache
Welcome! I’m Marci, wife to my motorcycle dream man and mother of 3. I have a passion for creating and cooking delicious masterpieces in my kitchen and am ecstatic to share my discoveries on TIDBITS! I like my food tasty, wholesome, memorable, and always, ALWAYS followed by dark, salty chocolate.