Instant Pot Mexican Brown Rice
Instant Pot Brown Mexican Rice is the perfect side dish for all of your favorite Mexican recipes!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 24 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cups brown rice (I like basmati brown rice)
- 1 (10-ounce) can mild Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon Kosher salt
For garnish: chopped cilantro
- Select sauté on the pressure cooker and add oil. When hot, add onion, sauté until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add rice, both cans of tomatoes, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, and salt; stir.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 24 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a natural release, or if in a hurry, release pressure after it rests for at least 10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve warm.
- Make sure and use the mild Rotel tomatoes if you don’t want the rice to be spicy.
- This recipe makes quite a bit of rice, but the leftovers freeze well. Freeze flat in a freezer safe ziploc bag. Place in the fridge the night before you need it.
Keywords: Mexican Rice, instant Pot rice, Healthy Mexican food