Instant Pot Refried Beans
Easy, healthy refried beans made in the Instant Pot in no time!
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 90 minutes
- Yield: 3 - 4 cups 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 cups dried pinto beans or black beans
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 oz can chopped green chilies
- 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Add beans, onions, garlic, chilies and water to the pressure cooker pot.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 50 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a natural release.
- Place a colander inside a large bowl, pour beans into the colander and reserve the liquid.
- Add beans, salt, cumin, and chili powder to a high powered blender and blend until desired consistency is reached, adding the reserved liquid as needed.
- Alternatively, mash the beans with a potato masher or use an immersion blender right in the pot.
- Refried beans dry out as they sit so add a bit more liquid if they are really thick.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
- Add seasonings after the beans are cooked. This will prevent all of the seasonings from getting discarded in the excess cooking liquid
- Freeze beans in freezer safe bags. Press them flat for convenient storage and quick thawing
Keywords: instant pot refried beans, best refried beans, healthy refried beans