If you thought going through a drive-through for breakfast was easy, you are in for a serious treat! This Instant Pot Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich is a quick, healthy, and delicious way to start any day – it's the true “Breakfast of Champions.”
One day I was perusing the freezer aisle for some healthy, easy breakfast options for my kids and I spied a new product: Sausage Breakfast sandwich with egg white rounds for the bun.
Like any normal person, instead of buying it, I took a picture and thought, “I wonder how I could turn that into an Instant Pot recipe.”
Right next to this Egg White Sandwich I noticed a box of pre-cooked turkey sausage patties and my idea WAS BORN!
Sausage stuffed egg patty topped with cheese served in a toasted English muffin.
“YES!” I exclaimed, (a little louder than a lone shopper should normally exclaim), as fellow shoppers uncomfortably walked by, all while trying to see what was in my hands that was so exciting.
I made the sandwich that very night for my family and it was a huge, HUGE hit.
We've had it many times since on homemade biscuits, on toast, and even on leftover pancakes; it NEVER disappoints.
This recipe is for everyone that bought a set of ramekins to make creme brulee and lava cakes – those ramekins now have another VERY important role to play in your happy breakfast life.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE AN INSTANT POT BREAKFAST SANDWICH
- RIDICULOUSLY EASY! Whisk some eggs, unwrap precooked sausage patties, grate some cheese. Or do nothing and let your 10-year-old do it all!
- HEALTHY BREAKFAST, LUNCH, OR DINNER: Stick with a whole wheat English muffin and a turkey or vegetarian sausage patty, and this sandwich is approximately a billion times better for you than Mcdonalds.
- SAUSAGE STUFFED EGG! Say what? Have you ever seen this done before? It's positively delightful.
- PORTABLE: Wrap it in foil and take it to go. Your co-workers are gonna flip for your sausage stuffed egg sandwich.
- FREEZEABLE: For you super prepared people out there, these freeze great! Make up 6 breakfast sandwiches, wrap them in plastic wrap and store them in the freezer. Some people make up breakfast burritos for their freezer. Not you, you've got stuffed omelet sandwiches – you go girl (or guy).
HOW TO MAKE A BREAKFAST SANDWICH IN THE PRESSURE COOKER
- Whisk up your egg mixture
- Divide egg mixture into ramekins and add your sausage patty
- Add the cheese
- Stack the ramekins into the pressure cooker
- Pressure cook the eggs and get your English muffins ready
- Top your muffins with an egg and serve hot
SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR DETAILED COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST SAUSAGE, EGG, AND CHEESE BREAKFAST SANDWICH
- Use 6 oz, 3.5-inch ramekins. This is the perfect size for every sausage patty I have found and also matches the size of a standard English muffin perfectly.
- Precooked sausage patties can be found in the refrigerated section with the bacon or in the freezer section with the breakfast foods.
- Use a sausage patty that you love. I prefer a less greasy turkey sausage, but my kids preferred the more standard pork sausage patty. I'm the only one that liked the vegetarian patty so proceed with caution on that one.
- I think a homemade sausage patty would be amazing here! These Turkey Sausage Patties are my favorite. I plan on making up a double batch next time and storing some in the freezer for this sandwich.
- If you'd like more vegetables in your sandwich or would like to go meatless, saute up some peppers and onions and use them in addition to or in place of the sausage patty.
- I prefer to use slices of cheese on top vs shredded cheese. Shredded cheese tends to melt into the egg, and I wanted the stretchy, gooey cheese factor on top.
- There may be some extra liquid in the ramekins right after they are cooked. Don't stress it; it quickly absorbs back into the egg.
- For an extra tasty surprise, melt butter and a splash of maple syrup together and brush the insides of your English muffin generously. It soaks into all the nooks and crannies – it's incredible!
- If you're feeling ambitious, homemade biscuits are even better than English muffins!
- Want to cut calories? Use just egg whites. I haven't tried this so I can't say for sure, but I'm assuming you'd need 1 1/2 or 2 times the amount of eggs.
HOW TO STORE, REHEAT, AND FREEZE A BREAKFAST SANDWICH
- Store: Wrap leftover Breakfast Sandwiches in plastic wrap or foil and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. The egg may become a bit discolored but it will still taste delicious.
- Reheat: Open the sandwich and reheat in the microwave for 30-60 seconds. If they're wrapped in foil, you can throw them in a 350° F oven for 5-10 minutes to heat through.
- Freeze: Wrap sandwiches in plastic wrap and place in a freezer-safe container or ziptop bag. When ready to eat, either let them thaw in the fridge overnight or reheat as direct above from frozen, adding extra minutes as needed.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS FOR A SAUSAGE AND EGG SANDWICH
Make-ahead can be done two different ways:
- Make egg/sausage/cheese patties and store them in the fridge or freezer until ready to eat.
- Make-ahead the entire sandwich and wrap and reheat them as directed above.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH A BREAKFAST SANDWICH
- Fruit: Berries, orange slices, smoothies, etc. All will perfectly compliment your sandwich no matter what time of day.
- Vegetables: Pan grilled tomato slices are my favorite. Salsa (especially this homemade tomatillo salsa) is the best possible topping.
- Yogurt Parfaits: When my daughter is in charge, she rocks out Instant Pot Yogurt parfaits with frozen blueberries, maple syrup, and granola.
VARIATIONS OF A BREAKFAST SANDWICH
- Vegetarian Breakfast Sandwich: Replace the sausage patty with a vegetarian patty or peppers and onions.
- Spicy Sausage Breakfast Sandwich: Add diced pickled jalapenos and a few splashes of hot sauce to the egg mixture.
- Low Carb Breakfast Sandwich: Serve the egg patty minus the bread with a side of salsa and avocado.
Recipes like this are why I love blogging. Unexpected, kind of weird, but absolutely divine recipes that take only a few minutes of prep.
Whether it's a lazy breakfast, or an “I didn't plan ahead for dinner” kind of day, this back pocket recipe will satisfy no matter what.
Let me know what you think below in the comments and make sure to tell me of any spins you do on the recipe. I love to hear your creative riffs!
MORE INSTANT POT BREAKFAST RECIPES
- Instant Pot Healthy Egg Bites
- Instant Pot Blueberry Muffins
- Instant Pot Mason Jar Breakfast Casseroles
- Instant Pot Giant Pancake
TOOLS/INGREDIENTS USED TO MAKE AN INSTANT POT BREAKFAST SANDWICHPrint
Instant Pot Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich
Sausage stuffed egg patty covered with cheese and served on a toasted English Muffin – This is the ultimate power breakfast!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 13 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk (any kind)
- kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 6 pre-cooked sausage patties
- 6 slices of cheddar cheese
- 6 English muffins
- Grease bottom and sides of six 6 ounce ramekins with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Crack eggs into a medium size bowl. Add milk, salt, and pepper and whisk until smooth.
- Pour an equal amount of egg mixture into each ramekin.
- Place a sausage patty into the center of each ramekin and press it down. Top with cheese.
- Add 1 cup of water to the pressure cooker pot and place a low trivet inside.
- Place three ramekins on top of the trivet. Stack the next 3 ramekins on the rims of the bottom ramekins.
- Secure the lid and turn the pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 13 minutes.
- While the eggs cook, toast and butter the English muffins.
- When cooking is complete, use a natural release for 5 minutes and then release any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the ramekins and place them on a cooling rack. There might be some liquid in the ramekins, this is okay, it will soak into the egg after a couple of minutes.
- Run a knife around the eggs then invert them onto the top half of the English muffin. Place them on the bottom muffin and serve.
- For an extra tasty sandwich, melt butter, add a splash of maple syrup, then brush the maple butter generously on the toasted English muffins.
- Make an ultimate Breakfast Sandwich by adding sliced tomato and avocado.
- Homemade biscuits are an incredible alternative to English muffins.
- Make sure the sausage is precooked. Vegetarian sausage patties also taste great.
- Go egg whites only! If you decide to omit the yolk, you may want to add an extra 3 or more eggs.
Keywords: Breakfast Sandwich, Instant Pot Breakfast, Sausage Egg Sandwich