Instant Pot No-Knead Whole Wheat Bread
Instant Pot No-Knead Whole Wheat Bread is full of whole grain, seedy goodness and is ready for dinner in a fraction of the time of typical no-knead Artisan bread
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours
- Yield: 1 loaf
- Category: Bread
- Method: Pressure cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/4 cups (or 9 oz) white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (or 4.25 ounces) white flour
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon uncooked millet (or sub uncooked quinoa)
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 1/2 cups room temperature water
- In a medium bowl, mix together wheat flour, white flour, wheat gluten, oats, millet (or quinoa), flax seeds, sunflower seeds, salt, and yeast.
- Add the water and with your hands, mix until the majority of the flour is incorporated, but the dough is still a slightly shaggy looking ball.
- Note: If the dough is still quite wet and sticky, sprinkle an extra tablespoon or two of flour on top and gently fold it in. You want the dough to be tacky, but not so wet and sticky that it coats your hands when you’re working the flour in.
- Place on top of a piece of parchment paper and put inside the Instant Pot liner.
- Secure the lid. Press yogurt, then adjust until the screen reads LOW. Adjust time to 4:30 and wait for the beep to indicate the cycle has started.
- At the 4 hour mark, the dough will have puffed up a bit and have small bubbles on top. Grab the sides of the parchment to lift the dough out of the pot and place it on the counter.
- Quickly form a ball and place back on the parchment paper.
- Return the dough to the Instant Pot for the remaining 30 minutes. Secure the lid.
- Place an empty 6 quart cast iron pot inside the oven with the lid on. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- When the Instant Pot beeps, the oven should be preheated and the dough will have slightly risen.
- Remove the pot from the oven and place the lid to the side.
- Holding on to the sides of the parchment, carefully lift dough from the Instant Pot and place inside the enameled pot (parchment paper and all).
- Place lid on top (tear off any pieces of parchment paper that are sticking out) and return cast iron pot to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the lid of the ceramic pot and allow the bread to bake 10 -15 minutes longer until the bread is nicely browned.
- Use the corners of the parchment paper to place bread on top of a cooling rack, removing the paper if you can handle the heat.
- Technically it’s best to let it cool slightly so it doesn’t smash while its hot, but if you lack self-control like I do, grab a sharp knife and start cutting uneven chunks of bread. Slather with butter and go to your happy place 🙂
- After mixing in the water, expect the bread to be slightly tacky, but it should not be so sticky that you have dough all over your fingers. If it’s too sticky, mix in an extra tablespoon or two of flour
- Set the Instant Pot to Yogurt then LOW, emphasis on the LOW. A hotter setting will kill your yeast and this bread will not turn out. I know, I did it 4 times.
- To cook the bread, make sure you use a heat-safe pot that also has a heat-safe lid. If you do not have an enameled cast iron pot you can try using a heavy ceramic pot, dutch oven, or other pots and pans that are safe to use at 450° F. I’ve even read of people using heavy tinfoil in place of a lid.
Keywords: homemade bread, Instant Pot bread, no-knead bread