This Whole Wheat Sun-dried Tomato Crusty Bread just screams deep, rich tomato flavor. It’s heaven in every warm, chewy, crusty bite.
At this point you’re either thinking, “For crying out loud Marci, enough Crusty Bread recipes.” If so, forgive me for pretending you’re actually, thinking, “PLEASE TURN THIS INTO A CRUSTY BREAD BLOG, I NEED MORE!” because believe it or not, I’ve got one more to share with you . . . however I’m not promising another flavor might not pop up at some point. Can’t stop, won’t stop. Trust me, I tried. Too many possibilities to experiment with.
Whatever you might be yelling at me right now, you will indeed be grateful for this one. Ready for this? It’s a mouthful. INSTANT POT WHOLE WHEAT SUN-DRIED TOMATO, FETA, AND SPINACH NO KNEAD CRUSTY BREAD. Like whoa. Maybe this will become a thing and I can rename it Instant Pot Orange Wonder Bread and everyone will know exactly what I’m talking about.
Orange? Yes, this bread is kinda orange. Red-ish pink-ish orange because of the addition of tomato paste into the dough. Because of that, the flavor in this bread screams tomato in a very good way.
Similar to its crusty bread friends Whole Wheat (plus seeds), Cranberry Pecan, and Jalapeño Cheddar, this bread is a breeze to make and a stunner at that. Just pat out your proofed dough and sprinkle it with the tomatoes, feta, and spinach . . .
Fold those babies in . . .
and bake yourself a beauty. Yes I said bake, it’s gotta go in the OVEN to get that crust. I get asked a lot how the Instant Pot can bake bread so to clarify, it doesn’t. It’s just a vessel for proofing your bread so you can have amazing crusty bread in 5 hours instead of 24. Just a little FYI for ya.
This bread is exploding with flavor, it is an absolute joy to eat each and every warm, chewy, crusty bite. It’s of course amazing with my beloved Kerrygold Butter, but if you’ve never tried it, smear on some whipped cream cheese on a super hot slice. You’ll never be the same.
Tools Used to Make Instant Pot Whole Wheat Sun-dried Tomato, Feta, Spinach No Knead Crusty Bread
*This post contains affiliate links. Thank you!
Don’t miss these other Soups and Sides
Instant Pot Whole Wheat Sun-dried Tomato, Feta, Spinach No Knead Crusty Bread
The amazing combination of sun-dried tomatoes, feta, and spinach get rolled up in a crusty warm package. This crusty bread is to die for!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 1/2 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours
- Yield: 1 loaf
- 2 1/4 cups (or 9 oz) white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (or 4.25 ounces) white flour
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 1/2 cups minus 2 tablespoons room temperature water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (use the kind pack in a jar with oil, wrap them in a paper towel to remove excess oil)
- In a medium bowl, mix together wheat flour, white flour, wheat gluten, salt, and yeast.
- In a small measuring cup or bowl combine water and tomato paste and whisk to combine. Add the water/tomato paste mixture to the bowl and with your hands, mix until the majority of the flour is incorporated, but the dough is still a slightly shaggy looking ball. If the dough is still quite wet and sticky, sprinkle an extra tablespoon or 2 of flour on top and gently fold it in. You want the dough to be tacky, but not so wet and sticky that it coats your hands when your working the flour in.
- Place on top of a piece of parchment paper and put inside the Instant Pot liner.
- Secure the lid. Press yogurt, then adjust until the screen reads 24:00 low. Adjust time to 4:30 and wait for the beep to indicate the cycle has started.
- After 4 hours the dough will have puffed up a bit and have small bubbles on top. Grab the sides of the parchment to lift the dough out of the pot.
- Pat the dough into a square/rectangular shape. Sprinkle the spinach, feta, and sun-dried tomatoes all over the surface. Pull the edges of the dough over the the spinach, feta, and sun-dried tomatoes, tucking and folding until the ad-ins are mostly incorporated into the dough. Note: The dough will be quite sticky. Just scrape it from the parchment with your finger tips and fold it towards the center of the dough until you form a ball. Place back in the center of the parchment paper and again put inside the pot. Secure the lid.
- Place a 6 – 8 quart cast iron pot inside the oven with the lid on. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- After 30 minutes, the oven should be preheated and the dough will be slightly risen. Remove the pot from the oven and place the lid to the side.
- Holding on to the sides of the parchment, carefully lift dough from the pressure cooker pot and place inside the cast iron pot (parchment paper and all). Place lid on top and put inside the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the lid of the ceramic pot and allow the bread to cook 10 -15 minutes longer until the bread is nicely browned.
- Remove from the oven, hold the corners of the parchment paper and place bread on top of a cooling rack. If you can handle the heat, pull the parchment paper away from the bread before placing it on a cooling rack. This helps to keep the bottom of the bread nice and crisp.
- Technically it’s best to let it cool slightly so it doesn’t smash while its hot, but if you lack self control like myself, grab a sharp knife and start cutting uneven chunks of bread. Slather with butter and go to your happy place 🙂
- For an even lighter loaf you can increase the amount of white flour to wheat flour. If you want 100% whole wheat, replace the white flour with more whole wheat flour. It will be a bit denser, but is still amazing hot out of the oven.
- Caution! There have been reports of bread rising so high that it pushed the pin up in the lid making it impossible to remove the lid. If you follow the directions in this recipe, that won’t be a problem with this bread, but it’s something to keep in mind with proofing in general. If there is a chance your dough could rise that high, use a glass lid instead of the pressure cooker lid.