Easy Cheesy Pesto Breadsticks
Easy Cheesy Pesto Breadsticks, perfect for scooping, dunking, and devouring!
- Author: Marci
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough (like Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Frozen Sheets)
- ⅓ cup pesto – more or less to taste
- ½ – 1 cup shredded mozzarella or quesadilla cheese (depending on how cheesy you want it)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Kosher salt
- Italian seasoning
- Thaw 1 sheet of puff pastry according to box directions – note: most boxes instruct to leave it at room temperature for 45 minutes or more, so plan ahead.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick foil.
- On a sheet of parchment paper or a floured surface, roll out the puff pastry sheet to about 15×12 inches.
- Use the back of a spoon to spread pesto over the entire dough. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Fold dough in half lengthwise and press down so the cheese sticks to the pesto.
- Cut into 1-inch strips (a pizza cutter works great for this). Stretch each strip slightly, then twist it a few times and place on the baking sheet, pressing on the ends if it starts to untwist.
- Brush each with beaten egg. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 15 – 17 minutes, until browned. Serve hot.
- PLAN AHEAD! The dough can take up to an hour to thaw to the point of being able to roll it out. It’s important that the dough is still cold If it becomes too warm, it won’t roll and twist well.
- I like a strong pesto presence in the breadsticks, so I use ½ cup.
- For a simple cheesy breadstick, the pesto can be omitted.
- The recipe can be easily doubled to use both sheets of pastry that come in a box.
Keywords: Easy Breadsticks, Cheesy Breadsticks, Pesto Breadsticks