Instant Pot Crio Bru is a deep, dark, healthy chocolate drink that you can drink multiple times a day and feel amazing. Making a habit of drinking chocolate each and every day is now very highly advised! This recipe is for the most basic version of Pressure Cooker Crio Bru and an essential for your kitchen.
For 10% off your Crio Bru order, use the code TIDBITS10.
For those of you that like to sleep in, I’ve got a secret for you. Early, EARLY mornings are the best time of day.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the time of day full of funny kid comments, cuddles, laughing, etc., but do you even know what you’re sleeping through when you wait for the sun to come up?
Peace, total peace and quiet.
The home is quiet, the world is quiet, my phone is quiet.
It’s in those serene quiet moments, I can breathe freely. I can start a thought, and actually finish it.
It’s heaven, my secret piece of heaven, that I’ll sacrifice extra sleep for, any day.
You know what makes it even better? The smell of dark chocolate and a mug full of steaming hot Crio Bru.
Before we go any further, let me answer the question I suspect is on so many minds:
WHAT IS CRIO BRU?
Crio Bru is roasted and ground cocoa beans that can be brewed like coffee, but is absolutely nothing like coffee.
Crio Bru contains little to no caffeine so you will not experience jittery side effects and sleeplessness.
What it does contain is theobromine which works with your body to provide a gentle boost that won’t lead to a crash later in the day.
Crio Bru is also free of gluten, dairy, cholesterol, soy, sodium and sugar. On the Crio Bru website you can read about other benefits such as immune system support, weight loss, and much more!
But most importantly to me, Crio Bru is chocolate in its purest form and is absolutely delicious!
When I decided to take a course several years ago called Go Sugar Free, Crio Bru is what got me through. I drink it unsweetened with almond milk and my kids drink it with just a touch of maple syrup.
For years, I brewed it in a french press, which was kind of a pain and waiting fifteen minutes to drink it was torture.
On one of those quiet mornings, I got the idea to brew it in my pressure cooker, and you know what? I haven't touched my french press ever since.
I make a big batch, strain it, store it in glass jars in my fridge and my Crio Bru is now only two minutes away from being ready.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE, CHERISH, AND ADORE CRIO BRU IN THE INSTANT POT
- Dump everything in, push a button, and walk away. The Instant Pot's got your back.
- Even with using less Crio Bru grounds than recommended on the package, the depth of flavor and color is far richer than you can achieve from a french press.
- Did I mention it’s healthy? Yes, good for you dark chocolate in a warm, cozy, drinkable form.
WHAT DOES CRIO BRU TASTE LIKE?
If you take your first sip expecting cloyingly sweet hot chocolate you will be disappointed. This is not birthday cake people.
This is deep, dark, unsweetened chocolate in its most pure and natural form and it is bitter in the most heavenly way.
I appreciate that not everyone appreciates chocolate as dark as I do, which is why I enjoy mine simply with a splash of almond milk, and my kids (and everyone else I beg to try it) gets almond milk, a touch of cream (or a Frozen Whipped Cream Dollop) and maple syrup.
I’m not very familiar with the taste of coffee, but I imagine it is very similar in consistency and bitterness.
HOW TO MAKE CRIO BRU IN AN INSTANT POT
- Pour water, milk, and maple syrup (if using) into the pressure cooker pot
- Add Crio Bru grounds
- Whisk to combine
- Pressure cook 10 minutes (or 5 works if you’re in a hurry)
- Pour through a strainer to filter out the grounds
- Enjoy a cup and then pour the rest into mason jars
- Once cooled, top with a pourable lid and store it in the fridge to enjoy all week
SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR DETAILED COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
WHAT CRIO BRU FLAVOR SHOULD I BUY?
There are several varieties of Crio Bru, and I’ve tried them all. Here are my suggestions:
- If you’ve never tried Crio Bru before, go with a light roast flavor like Ghana or Ecuador. The Peppermint and Pumpkin Spice flavors are also a light roast, but I prefer to buy Ghana and then flavor it how I want to.
- If you like spicy, you must try out Maya. It’s not overly spicy, but it leaves a wonderful, gentle burn in the back of your throat.
- If you’re a coffee drinker and used to a deep, dark, bitter roasted flavor, my all time favorites are Ghana French Roast and their newest flavor Mocha.
MORE CRIO BRU PRODUCTS YOU NEED IN YOUR LIFE
Criosa Chocolate Covered Cacao Beans are straight up the best chocolate treat I’ve ever had in my life. That is no exaggeration whatsoever. They are the only treat I’ve ever hidden from my family, and after you taste one, you will completely understand why. CA-RAY-Z good!
Criosa Dark Chocolate Cacao Chips are just slightly larger than mini chocolate chips and actually taste like real, pure chocolate (compared to other store-bought brands I know). I have never tried it, but on the package it gives directions for adding the chips to a cup of Crio Bru to make it sweeter and more creamy.
TIPS TO BREWING THE BEST CUP OF CRIO BRU
- Five to ten minutes results in great flavor, with ten being the darkest and most rich taste (my favorite)
- You have a choice of milk. I’ve used skim milk over a hundred times without any issues of curdling, but cows milk does tend to foam more than others. I like unsweetened vanilla almond milk or lite coconut milk (full fat coconut milk will harden once refrigerated).
- To sweeten it, I highly suggest real maple syrup. My second choice is agave or regular ol' white sugar. Honey tastes very strange, although I believe a very light honey would work fine.
- As you can imagine, drinking poorly filtered Crio Bru with leftover grounds in it is not pleasant. You will need a very fine mesh strainer.
BEST PLACE TO BUY CRIO BRU
I get asked this often, and hands down, ordering straight from the Crio Bru website is the best way to go. You'll find the most variety and best prices there compared to anywhere else online or in-store.
Bonus: After talking to you about Crio Bru for 5 years now, Crio Bru has decided to give me a discount code for TIDBITS readers! I may or may not have squealed and jumped up and down when I told my husband this exciting news!
I am so honored to give you the code TIDBITS10 so you can all get 10% off your order and drink Crio Bru every day of your life with me.
It will be the tie that binds us all together . . . virtually anyways. Well, that and Instant Pot-ing everything.
Be sure and subscribe to their newsletter as well. They come out with new, limited flavors of Crio Bru all the time and you better believe I order each and every one of them.
Now it’s your turn!
I’ve talked about Crio Bru countless times on the blog. If you’ve been around here long you know my love for it runs deep.
If you’ve tried it, can you let me know your thoughts in the comments? Love it, hate it, live for it, die for it . . . I want to know what you think!
I’ve been drinking a cup every morning for nearly ten years. TEN YEARS!!! I am so excited for you to experience it too!
And as for early mornings, well, if I haven’t convinced you of its glory, that’s just fine. MORE QUIET FOR ME!!!
Just don’t be mad when I send you a text at 4 a.m. and ignore your text during my 10 a.m nap time. #HOWISURVIVE
MORE WAYS TO BREW AND ENJOY CRIO BRU
- Instant Pot Golden Crio Bru (my personal favorite)
- Instant Pot Coconut Orange Crio Bru
- Instant Pot Strawberry Crio Bru (my daughter’s creation)
- Instant Pot Peppermint Crio Bru
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Spice
- Crio Bru Smoothie (loaded with protein and hidden veggies!)
- Chilled over ice – so refreshing!
TOOLS/INGREDIENTS USED TO MAKE INSTANT POT CRIO BRU
- Instant Pot
- Crio Bru – use the code TIDBITS10 for 10% off your order
- Fine Mesh Strainer
- Pourable Mason Jar Lids
- Real Maple Syrup (Amazon has a great price, especially with subscribe and save)
Instant Pot Basic Crio Bru Recipe
Instant Pot Crio Bru is a healthy, piping hot cup of chocolate heaven. So many possible flavor combos, but here's the basic recipe to start with.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 8 cups 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- ½ cup Crio Bru (any variety)
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk (can substitute with any milk)
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (optional)
- Add Crio Bru, water, milk, and maple syrup (if using) to the pressure cooker pot. Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a natural release for 10 minutes and then release any remaining pressure.
- Place a fine mesh sieve over a bowl and pour Crio Bru through the sieve to filter out the grounds. Be careful! The Crio Bru will be VERY hot.
- Serve immediately with a Frozen Whipped Cream Dollop or pour into 2 quart size Mason jars, top with a pourable lid, and store in the refrigerator.
- Enjoy cold or pour into a microwave safe mug and warm for 1-2 minutes.
- If using cows milk, foaming may occur when releasing the pressure. Simply flip the knob back to a sealed position and wait for a few extra minutes.
- To sweeten, I suggest pure maple syurp. Agave and white sugar are good alternatives.
- For a darker flavor, pressure cook for ten minutes.
- Strain through a FINE MESH strainer to collect all of the grounds.
- Nutrition facts do not include maple syrup
Keywords: hot chocolate, crio bru, hot drink, coffee