Maple Cinnamon Oatmeal is downright decadent when made in an Instant Pot pressure cooker! Creamy, fast, and most importantly hands off!
This recipe is sponsored by Bob's Red Mill
I've made a lot of steel cut oats in my Instant Pot over the years. It's one of those ingredients that really shows off the potential of an electric pressure cooker.
Stir steel cut oats on the stove top for 40 minutes OR push start on my Instant Pot and go take a shower . . . hmmm . . . tough one.
It was because of this revolutionary concept that I didn't try good Old Fashioned Oats for a very long time. That seemed ridiculous. They are already so quick and easy to cook, right?
I was wrong, wrong, wrong.
Instant Pot Oatmeal made with old fashioned oats is the most delectably creamy bowl of rolled oats I have ever, ever experienced. You need this, you just do.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS HEALTHY OATMEAL IN THE INSTANT POT
- No spillovers on the stove top or microwave. Flashbacks of my childhood and starchy microwave oatmeal spills just flashed through my brain, anyone else?
- No mushy, lumpy, glue-y, oatmeal here! This oatmeal is ridiculously creamy, dreamy.
- Leftovers can turn into a healthy, fast 2-minute breakfast all week long. That's like 12 minutes of extra sleep per day you just earned! You're welcome snooze button pushers
- This is a bit of a basic oatmeal recipe which means, PERFECT blank canvas for many wonderful topping combinations! We'll get to that in a sec
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST OATMEAL RECIPE USING ROLLED OATS
- Add all of the ingredients to the pot
- Cook for 4 minutes, followed by at least a 10-minute natural release (to avoid a starchy water mess)
- Add cream and desired toppings and high five your healthy self
OATMEAL TOPPINGS TO KEEP OATS EXCITING
I've got five categories of go-to oatmeal toppings, mix and match as you please!
- Drizzle: Maple syrup, honey, Healthy Chocolate Syrup, Triple Berry Chia Jam, peanut butter, almond butter, cream
- Fruit: Berries of all kinds, peaches, bananas, raisins, apples
- Nuts: sliced almonds, chopped pecans, toasted walnuts
- Extra Crunch: Granola (my favorite store bought is Bear Naked Vanilla Almond), Ezekiel Cereal (which is basically a better for you version of Grape Nuts)
- Frozen Whipped Cream Dollops (yep, these cuties get their own category. My kids LOVE these!)
Some of our favorite combinations include:
- Diced Strawberries + Healthy Chocolate Syrup
- Apple + Raisin + Walnut + Cinnamon Cream Syrup
- Banana + Almond or Peanut Butter
- Peaches + Maple Syrup + Cream
OVERNIGHT OATMEAL RECIPES
This recipe works best if you add the ingredients and cook it right away. If you want a recipe that can be mixed up the night before so you can be Lil' Miss Prepared, try this Instant Pot Banana Custard Oatmeal or this heavenly Blueberry Oatmeal recipe.
INSTANT POT STEEL CUT OATMEAL
If you're one of the many who prefer the texture and chew of steel cut oats instead, no worries, I've got your back too.
- Instant Pot Peaches and Cream Steel Cut Oats
- Mason Jar Steel Cut Oats: Original or Bakery Edition
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Spice Steel Cut Oats
- Instant Pot Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats
Have I given you too many options? Are you like me and when faced with too many decisions resort to the one you know the best time and time again? Hello vanilla ice cream from age 3 – 18.
I challenge you to not be like me – be daring and spontaneous in your oatmeal adventures and try every recipe on this page. First on the list, today's creamy, simple Maple Cinnamon Oatmeal. The second you smell this dish, you will fall hard in love.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF OATMEAL
You hear it time and time again, oats are healthy, eat more oats. But do you know why you want this wonderful grain in your life? Here are a few things I've taught my patients over the years:
OATS ARE 100% WHOLE GRAIN
Whole grain (whether it be wheat, oats, rice, etc) means that the nutrient-rich bran and germ parts of the grain haven't been removed like in all-purpose white flour, white rice, etc. This means more vitamins, minerals, and overall fiber. Oats are also one of the most versatile gluten-free whole grain substitutes in pancakes, muffins, cookies, etc. Just be sure to look for labels that say “Gluten Free” since some oats are made on the same machines that package gluten containing grains.
OATS DECREASE LDL AKA BAD CHOLESTEROL
Studies show that regular intake of oatmeal can decrease risk of heart disease, which is likely related to its ability to lower LDL/Bad Cholesterol. High LDL's increase the risk of heart disease in the form of strokes and heart attacks so keeping those numbers low is very important.
OATS ARE GOOD FOR THE BELLY
Oats are loaded with soluble fiber which means healthier digestion, more regular bowels, and an increased growth of good bacteria in the digestive tract. With our busy, stressful lifestyles, our bellies can really take a hit. Regular intake of Oats can help prevent or treat these issues.
OATS ARE FILLING
Oats do an amazing job filling your bellies and keeping you satisfied for several hours. Oats digest slowly and steadily to give you more stable glucose levels and longer lasting energy. Because of these benefits, oats have also shown to help with weight loss by increasing a feeling of satiety (satisfied fullness).
OATS ARE EASY TO MAKE
Not only are oats a total powerhouse, but they are also so easy to prep, cook, and eat! You can make them in a microwave, on the stove top, in the oven, or of course, my favorite, in your pressure cooker. You can eat them hot in a bowl, crunchy on top of yogurt, or on-the-go in the form of a bar. Seriously, there is not a more convenient whole grain out there!
For more on the health benefits of oats, see this article What are the Benefits of Oatmeal.
HOW LONG TO COOK OATS IN THE INSTANT POT
For the ultimate guide on oats : water ratios and cook times, be sure to grab this printable chart: Ultimate Guide for Perfect Pressure Cooker Oats. You'll refer to it time and time again, I promise
INSTANT POT BREAKFAST RECIPES – Non-Oatmeal
- Instant Pot Perfect No Break Hard Boiled Egg
- Instant Pot Denver Style “Sous Vide” Eggs
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato, Spinach and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Instant Pot Golden Milk Crio Bru
TOOLS/INGREDIENTS USED TO MAKE INSTANT POT PRESSURE COOKER MAPLE CINNAMON OATMEAL
- Instant Pot
- Bob's Red Mill Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- Bob's Red Mill Extra Thick Rolled Oats (these are REALLY good!)
Pressure Cooker Creamy Maple Cinnamon Oatmeal
Maple Cinnamon Old Fashioned Oats are down right decadent when made in a pressure cooker! Creamy, fast, and most importantly, hands off!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Frozen Whipped Cream Dollop
- Optional: Fresh Fruit, sliced almonds, extra drizzle of maple syrup or a sprinkle of cinnamon
- Add oats, water, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt to the pressure cooker pot and stir. Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position.
- Cook at high pressure for 2 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a natural release for 10 minutes (may also use a full natural release if not in a hurry). If liquid sprays through the valve, turn back to the sealed position and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve hot with a Frozen Whipped Cream Dollop, fresh fruit, almonds, an extra drizzle of maple syrup, and/or a sprinkle of cinnamon, if desired.
- I've never tried it myself, but I've read that you can chill your oatmeal, portion it into scoops on a baking sheet, freeze it, and put frozen scoops into a freezer safe ziplock bag for another day. Put in the fridge the night before or thaw in the microwave. Could also thaw it in the pressure cooker using the pot in pot method and an extra splash of milk.
- Store leftovers in the fridge. Reheat with a splash of milk to make creamy again
- Swap maple syrup for brown sugar to create a classic Cinnamon Brown Sugar flavor
- Do not use steel cut oats or quick cooking oats for this recipe, the cook times are different
Keywords: breakfast, oatmeal, healthy, quick breakfast