Say goodbye to your deep-fried egg roll cravings and say HELLO to healthy pressure cooker egg roll bowl! This deconstructed egg roll is a juicy flavor bomb and brings home the crunch factor with a crispy baked phyllo cracker. Now is the perfect time to break out your good friend the Instant Pot.
This meal gets my vote for dish of the year!!! Is that statement too bold? Or completely appropriate for a dish that had my husband and I telling our kids, “You couldn’t possibly like it because, Look! Look, at all those veggies! Ugh! You should totally not even try it, just fill up on watermelon.” I am not ashamed.
I typically stay away from fried food, it’s just not worth the belly ache. But egg rolls (and onion rings, since we’re on the subject) just get me. I love them so much! So when my little sis, Maegan, told me about this dish, I immediately put in on my menu. And now I’m highly suggesting/encouraging/DEMANDING you put it on your menu as well. For real, you must.
The egg roll filling is jam packed with veggie goodness and lean turkey sausage, that gets all juicy and flavorful with the help of my favorite appliance-the electric pressure cooker. Then we’ll go ahead and add 3 more grand finales in the form of dry roasted peanuts, Sir Kensington brand Sriracha Mayo, and a flaky, crunchy PHYLLO CRISP-which also got a healthy makeover, check it out below! Have you put Egg Roll Bowl on your menu yet? What a silly question, you’re probably already at the store.
Quick note, I adore Sir Kensington products! Mayo hasn’t had a place in my fridge for many years (probably due to the low fat fad diet I went crazy on after gaining the freshman 15…ok 25). But now, I have their Avocado Oil Mayo, Chipotle Mayo, and Sriracha Mayo chilling in my fridge and I hold no shame admitting to licking mayo coated knifes shiny clean. NO SHAME! This is a completely unsponsored mayo sermon. I absolutely adore their products! I also have their Mustard, Spicy Brown Mustard, and Ketchup in my fridge. So basically my fridge is a Sir Kensington shrine-and I couldn’t be more proud.
So join me in hitting up your favorite Thai restaurant this weekend and enjoy some deep fried egg rolls. Then whip up these mind blowing egg roll bowls in the comfort of your own home about Tuesday, Wednesday, and probably Friday. And don’t forget to tell my little sis Maegan that she rocks the house and you’ll watch her kids for a weekend for hookin’ us up with this recipe ????. Enjoy!
PS: Our Master the Pressure Cooker Cookbook comes out in September! Ahhh, totally freaking out! I can’t wait to see it!
PSS: I’d like to start filling up my recipe index with some good ol’ basics (brown rice, potatoes, green beans, etc) but then follow up all of those basics with an amped up version. For example, I would post a basic mashed potato recipe, than follow it up with a loaded cheddar, bacon, and chive version. Thoughts? Requests?Print
Instant Pot Egg Roll Bowl
Veggie packed, deconstructed egg roll in a bowl with a crispy phyllo cracker. All the flavors of a traditional restaurant egg roll, minus the deep fry!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4-5 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Chinese
- 1 roll (20 sheets) phyllo dough (like Athens Fillo Dough)
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- kosher salt
- garlic powder
Egg Roll Mixture
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 16-19 oz sweet or spicy ground Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 10 oz bags of coleslaw mix (I used a Super Blend mix with brussels sprouts, napa cabbage, kohlrabi, broccoli, carrots, and kale. Amazing!)
- 1 can of sliced water chestnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup lite soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Fresh cracked pepper
- kosher salt
- optional garnish: chopped dry roasted peanuts and Sir Kensington’s Sriracha Mayo
To Make Phyllo Crisp (can be made up to 1 day ahead)
- Thaw one roll of phyllo per package directions. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk to combine egg whites and warm water, then whisk in coconut oil until well combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick foil. Place 2 sheets of phyllo on the baking sheet (be sure to cover the remaining phyllo with a wet paper towel so it doesn’t dry out and break). Brush phyllo with egg white mixture and top with 2 more sheets. Again brush the sheets with egg white mixture and top with 2 more sheets. Brush this layer with egg white mixture and lightly sprinkle with kosher salt, paprika, and garlic powder. Top with 2 sheets, brush with egg whites, followed by 2 sheets and a final brush of egg white mixture (there should be a total of 10 sheets). Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt, paprika, and garlic powder. Cut into 8 squares. Repeat this process with the last 10 sheets of phyllo on a separate baking sheet.
- Place in oven (both pans at the same time if they will fit. If not, do one batch at a time). Bake until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes. Watch closely after 10 minutes, they will go from perfectly brown to burnt very quickly!
To Make Egg Roll Mix
- Add oil into the pressure cooker pot. Using the saute function, heat the oil until hot. Add diced onions. Cook until soft, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, and chili garlic sauce and stir for 1 minute. Add sausage. Use a wooden spoon to stir and break sausage into small pieces until cooked through.
- Add coleslaw mix, water chestnuts, soy sauce, vinegar, a few cracks of pepper, and a pinch of kosher salt. Stir to combine. Press cancel to turn off the saute function.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 2 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a quick release. Stir mixture well.
- To serve, spoon egg roll filling into a bowl. Top with a sprinkle of chopped peanuts and drizzle of Sriracha mayo. Place phyllo crisps on top and enjoy with a spoon or serve crisps on the side and use them as a scoop for the egg roll mixture.
Freezer Meal Instructions – this is a great meal for doubling or tripling the amount of the ingredients you are sautéing in Step 1 of To Make Egg Roll Mix and continue making one for dinner that night and freezing the rest. I suspect you could make a batch of the Phyllo Crisp and freeze it, but I have not yet tried this. The Crisp lasts at least 2 weeks at room temperature in a sealed container.
- Double or Triple the amount of onion, garlic, ginger, chili garlic sauce, and sausage and cook as directed in Step 1 of To Make Egg Roll Mix. Divide the mixture into 2-3 freezer safe Ziplock bags (depending on if you doubled or tripled the recipe). Label the bag with recipe, date, and contents. Lay bags flat on top of each other and freeze inside pressure cooker pot until solid, then remove the bags from the pot and place back in the freezer until ready to use.
- When ready to cook, add soy sauce, vinegar, and 1 tablespoon of water to the pressure cooker pot. Cut down the side of the Ziplock and place the frozen ingredients into the pot. Add water chestnuts, coleslaw mix, and salt and pepper on top.
- Cook at high pressure for 3 minutes then proceed with the rest of the instructions above beginning at Step 4.
- Make your own Sriracha mayo by mixing a 3 to 1 ratio of mayo to Sriracha. Increase mayo for less heat.
- The crisps will stay crispy for several days at room temperature in an air tight container
Keywords: egg roll, Chinese food