Pressure Cooker Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
Crispy, cheesy, whole grain cornbread from the Pressure Cooker/Instant Pot is a magical thing and the perfect partner for your favorite soup, salads, and pastas!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: less than 1 hour
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- Category: Bread
- Method: Pressure cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (any kind, I used skim)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 jalapeños, seeds and ribs removed, then minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup minced red bell pepper
- Grease a 7-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Optional: line with parchment or non-stick foil as show above, for easy removal.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together cornmeal, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl add milk and eggs and whisk to combine. Add melted butter and quickly whisk to fully incorporate.
- Pour wet mixture into dry and use a spoon to mix just until combined, do not over mix! Add 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, minced jalapeños, and red bell pepper and lightly stir just until incorporated.
- Scrape mixture into the greased springform pan and smooth the top.
- Add 1 cup of water to the pressure cooker pot and place trivet inside. Place the pan on top of the trivet. Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 30 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a natural release for 10 minutes and then release any remaining pressure.
- Remove pan from the pressure cooker. Carefully remove the springform ring. If it is sticking, run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen.
- Optional, place cornbread on a cookie sheet pan. sprinkle with an extra 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and place under the broiler until it is bubbling and browning. As it cools, it will form a cheesy, crispy crust, Yum!
- Serve hot or at room temperature. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator. To reheat, place under the broiler to warm and crisp the top.
For a spicy version, include the seeds from the jalapeño.
- Serving Size: 1 of 8 servings
- Calories: 253
- Sugar: 3.7g
- Sodium: 808.2mg
- Fat: 11.5g
- Carbohydrates: 28.5g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: cheesy bread, instant pot bread, pressure cooker bread