Fill your home with the smells of Autumn in a steamy cup of naturally sweetened, homemade Instant Pot quick and easyWassail. Comfort and joy in a cup!
Saying goodbye to summer is just fine by me when I can feel the cool breeze coming through my windows and see the mountains covered in orange, red, and yellow. I feel giddy just thinking about it!
And the smells of Fall? Sigh…they instantly take me to a happy place. Cinnamon, pumpkin, clove, apple, nutmeg, etc, etc. Wassail is the ultimate culmination of these wonderful smells.
I really did not like apple juice as a kid and the thought of drinking it warm was completely appalling to me. I'm pretty sure I never even tasted it. My own daughter shares those feelings, and it drives me crazy! How can you smell something so magnificent and NOT EVEN TASTE IT!
I'm on a mission to change her mind this year. Just watch me. I'll stick a cinnamon candy cane in it if I have to.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE HEALTHY INSTANT POT WASSAIL
- Wassail is typically cooked in a slow cooker for several hours in order to develop all of the “spicy” flavors. Not in this case! Just 10 minutes at high pressure in the pressure cooker will have your wassail bursting with the intense fall spices we all love
- No added sugar. We're just letting pure, delicious, sweet, fruity flavors and earthy spices shine
- Releasing the pressure after it's cooked will fill your home with the most delightful citrusy, spicy, apple-y, HEAVENLY smell ever! No candle, will ever hold a candle, to this amazing scent.
WHAT IS WASSAIL
Wassail loosely means “good health”. Wassailing refers to both a celebratory gathering (like Christmas) where friends and family get together to sing and spread joy throughout their neighborhood.
Wassail as a hot mulled beverage has had many different versions over the years. The earliest version is made with roasted crab apples. Next was a drink made of hard liquor, cream, roasted apples, eggs, sugar, and spices like cloves, ginger, and nutmeg.
The modern-day wassail generally contains apple cider and warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. Lemon, orange, pineapple, and/or cranberry juice are often added to create interesting variations (Source)
HOW TO MAKE AN EASY VERSION OF WASSAIL IN THE INSTANT POT
- Gather and prepare zest, juices, and spices
- Add them to a steamer basket in the pressure cooker pot, this will make for easy removal of the items that will be discarded later. Pressure cook
- Release the pressure, enjoy the most beautiful smell in the world, discard spices, serve hot
Keep this recipe in your back pocket all fall and winter season long for parties, celebrations, or just a quiet night at home with the family. It's so easy to throw together and will instantly infuse your home with warm happy memories. Enjoy!
VARIATIONS OF WASSAIL
- A splash of cranberry or pomegranate juice is pretty and yummy! Top each glass with fresh cranberries or pomegranate arils to make it extra fancy
- To cut the sugar and sweetness, I drink mine half and half wassail and hot water. It's like drinking a hot cup of spiced tea
- Fill a cup half to three-fourths of the way with wassail and then top with sparkling water for a fizzy version
BEST FALL AND WINTER BEVERAGES
- These Fall and Holiday inspired Infused Waters are some of my favorites. Try Snickerdoodle Cookie ASAP!
- Crio Bru – I start every day with this healthy chocolate drink. Try this Peppermint and Pumpkin Spice version
TOOLS USED TO MAKE INSTANT POT WASSAIL
*This post contains affiliate links. Thank you!Print
Instant Pot Easy Wassail
Feel your home with the smells of Autumn in a steamy cup of naturally sweetened, homemade wassail.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 cups 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Pressure cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 8 cups apple cider
- 4 cups orange juice
- 5 cinnamon sticks
- 10 cloves
- ½ tsp nutmeg (preferably freshly grated)
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 1 inch ginger, peeled
- 2 vanilla beans, split or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pour apple cider and orange juice into the pressure cooker pot. Place mesh steamer basket inside. Add cinnamon sticks, cloves, nutmeg, zest and juice of lemons, ginger and vanilla beans or extract to the basket.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a 10-minute natural release.
- Remove the steamer basket and discard its contents. Serve wassail hot from the pot.
- Use the slow cooker function of the pressure cooker to keep wassail hot for hours while entertaining
- Leftovers can be stored cold in the fridge for a week or frozen in mason jars for 3 months
Keywords: instant pot drink, easy recipe, seasonal drink