The classic tomato soup that everyone loves is getting a seriously flavorful makeover. Prepare to swoon over this silky, creamy Veggie Lovers Tomato Basil Soup in all its good-for-you glory!
I've been on the hunt for a LONG TIME you guys for a tomato soup that would complete me. I've tried new ones each season for years and never could quite find THE one. I've got serious standards for tomato soup. It's got to be thick (but not marinara sauce thick) creamy (without being loaded with cream), smooth (but a little chunky) and have a deep, rich tomato flavor that takes me back to peak tomato season. This is it y'all. This is Instant Pot Veggie Lovers Tomato Basil Soup.
Time to bust out some Instant Pot Crusty Bread or Grilled Cheese for sure.
Or actually, if you're a 2 pressure cooker home, you must must MUST make this Pressure Cooker Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread. ❤❤❤
This Pressure Cooker Veggie Lovers Tomato Basil Soup has 2 secret ingredients that earned it rock star status.
Secret Ingredient #1: Fennel
Have you ever used fennel? I recall using it in a salad years ago, that's about it. It has a beautiful smell and adds a little somethin' to the soup that I doubt anyone will be able to pinpoint. However, I used a rather large bulb of fennel the first time I made this and it was too much, so stick with the shy cup I wrote for below, and it will be amazing. Don't know how to cut it? Check out the notes in the recipe below. It's easy peasy.
Secret Ingredient #2: Parmesan Rind
Do you know how many of these I've thrown away over the years!? Why did it take me this long to know of its potential!? If you want good parm, go for the big blocks of it (I buy it at Sams Club) with a nice rind then start hoarding those pieces of rind in your freezer like your life depends on it. They infuse a perfect sharp nuttiness to the soup that I just don't think can be replaced with anything else.
Both these secrets came from my early morning runs with Rachael Ray. Genius that girl. My life goal is to meet Ray Ray (which is what I call her in my pretend world where we are besties). One day….one day.
And once again, like in this Baked Potato Soup, Enchilada Soup, and White Chicken Chili, I'm using just veggies to make it creamy, so you can justify more cheese on your grilled cheese. I get you, I do.
Now bust out your pressure cookers and make this soup happen! Or wait till after Thursday so you can pair your soup with that recipe. Marriage made in heaven, comin' right up.
Tools Used to Make Instant Pot Veggie Lovers Tomato Basil SoupPrint
Pressure Cooker Veggie Lovers Tomato Basil Soup
This Tomato Basil Soup is so rich tasting and flavorful! Perfect partner to any grilled cheese or panini.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Pressure cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small bulb of fennel, coarsely chopped – just shy of 1 cup (see notes for tips on how to cut fennel)
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2–3 inch piece of parmesan rind
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes (preferably San Marzano)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (packed) fresh basil, cut into ribbons
- Preheat the pressure cooker by selecting saute. Add oil, butter, fennel, carrot, onion, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and parmesan rind. Stir to coat veggies with oil and butter, then place the lid loosely on the pressure cooker and allow the veggies to sweat for 5-7 minutes, until starting to soften.
- Add chicken broth, whole tomatoes, and tomato puree (in that order). Do not stir.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a natural release for 10 minutes then release any remaining pressure.
- Remove bay leaf and any remaining parmesan rind. Carefully pour or ladle pot contents into a blender (be sure not to overfill blender; do in batches if needed) or use an immersion blender directly in the pot and blend until very smooth. Return soup to the pot. Stir in fresh basil and can of diced tomatoes (can omit if a completely smooth soup is desired). Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Serve hot. Store in refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for several months.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
- For this recipe, I like to double or triple the amount of ingredients listed in step 1. I use what I need for dinner that night, then portion and freeze the rest. Don't forget to label what they are for!
- When ready to cook, add bag of frozen ingredients to the pressure cooker pot and add can of whole tomatoes and tomato puree. Cook at high pressure for 22 minutes then proceed with the rest of the directions above.
How to Cut Fennel
- Cut closely to the bulb of fennel to remove the stalk.
- Trim a thin layer off the bottom of the bulb.
- Cut the bulb in half then in quarters.
- Cut away the middle core from each bulb (like you would on a pineapple)
- Place each piece of fennel on a stable side and slice each into 3 pieces
- That's it! You're done!
Keywords: instant pot soup, comfort food, creamy soup,