Kid Cooking Subscription Boxes are, in my opinion, one of the greatest products of all time. Kid tested and mother approved, here's a review of our 4 favorite boxes that we think you will love as well!
Photos taken by Cami TIDBITS in her BEAUTIFUL RV. See the full tour!
I love kid subscription boxes!
I'm a busy mama (like everyone else) and the thoughts of putting together a meaningful activity to do one on one with my kids often weighs heavy on my mind.
With little time and an exhausted imagination, my good intentions often turn into watching a movie or reading a book with the kids. This counts but doesn't exactly promote meaningful conversations.
Kid subscription boxes have been my answer to this dilemma for 5 years now.
My kids are much more open to cooking and tasting recipes from these boxes because in their minds they were “designed for kids.” They gain a lot of confidence from cooking recipes that work and that people enjoy. It's such a fun process to observe!
I've tried several different subscriptions off and on over the years so today I want to tell you all about my favorite Cooking Subscriptions. I'll add a plug for my favorite non-food related subscription boxes at the bottom if you're interested.
The boxes I'm telling you about work for all ages and skill levels. They can be projects your child takes on by themselves, or even more fun, can involve the parents or siblings.
Last thing: Subscription boxes mean you are signing up for a series of boxes. Different boxes have different terms, but typically there are offers for 3, 6, or 12 month plans with the deal getting better the higher you go.
They work great for gifts because it is something kids can look forward to each month and a perfect way to build strong, fun relationships with your children or grandchildren.
Many of the boxes also offer opportunities for kids to interact on social media with others using the same boxes. I'll admit I haven't dived into any of that (I'd like to keep my kids off social media as long as possible), but for older kids, I think this would be a lot of fun!
Alright, let's get started!
I've used Raddish many times off and on over the past few years so I know their boxes well. Raddish is constantly creating new boxes so you can look forward to new recipes for many years to come.
WHAT YOU GET:
- THREE WIPEABLE/STAINPROOF RECIPE CARDS
- Each card includes colorful, fun illustrations of the ingredients and tools needed plus drawings of every single step of the cooking process. My 8 year old can nearly follow these steps on her own, they are so clear! A complete grocery list for each recipe is also included.
- KITCHEN TOOL/GADGET
- These tools are good enough quality that we are still using them after three years. Whisks, timers, spatulas, cookie cutters, measuring spoons, etc. My daughter takes a lot of pride in using her “own kitchen tools.”
- THREE CULINARY SKILL LESSONS
- I love these! They are quick, informative lessons that teach basics like How to Whisk, Knife Safety, Chopping vs Dicing, etc.
- KITCHEN CRAFTS, EXPERIMENTS, OR FAMILY ACTIVITIES
- Our last box taught how to be a good waiter/waitress and included an order pamphlet. My kids have a lot of fun with these activities!
- IRON ON APRON PATCH
- A unique Iron On Patch comes with every box. My daughter waits until she has completed the recipes in the box, then irons it onto her apron (which is included in your first box).
- COLLECTIBLE CONVERSATION STARTER CARDS
- New Collectible Conversation Starter cards arrive with every box. My kids love these and I pull them out when I feel tension moving in at dinner. It lightens the mood every time.
- I love Raddish! They make their boxes an all in one learning, teaching, cooking guide that nails the goal of bringing families together for good food and fun around the table. The recipes they provide are spot on to how I feed my family: mostly healthy, whole grain, veggie filled meals plus an occasionally decadent, fun, kid-friendly meal or dessert. My kids didn't love all of the recipes especially ones with lots of veggies, but it does encourage them to try things they never would otherwise. From my perspective, all of the recipes have been very tasty. The variety keeps my kids open to trying new things and makes cooking enjoyable.
- My kids LOVE the pictures in the recipe cards. My daughter says she wishes all recipes came with such good step by step photos. My kids opinion of the recipes are that they are mostly yummy, but some they don't ever want to make again (zucchini fries, which were awesome, and I ate the whole pan). They get very excited to see what activity each box includes and have fun with the “Table Talk” cards. Three thumbs up all around!
TRY IT OUT
- Go to Raddish, choose a 6 or 12 month membership, and use the code QAPV4K to receive $10 off your order.
This was the first Kid Cooking Subscription Box I ever tried and the beginning of my obsession with subscription boxes. Kidstir's kits repeat from year to year with an occasional Special Edition Kit. My daughter and I enjoyed cooking through each and every kit and she has a full and complete binder of their recipes.
WHAT YOU GET
- COOKBOOK BINDER
- The binder comes with tabs to organize all of the hole punched recipe cards that come each month, keeping things so nicely organized.
- THREE STEP BY STEP RECIPE CARDS WITH SHOPPING LIST
- Each step has an accompanying picture making it easy for you and your child to see what the food should look like along the way. Each recipe card comes with notes to the parent on how to help your child and “Chef's Secrets” for elevating the recipe. The boxes are specific to each month and holiday, so in November you get Thanksgiving ideas, February is all about Valentines, etc.
- THREE EDUCATION PAGES
- These pages are so great for feeding a child's love of food education. Here you'll find things like History of Cinnamon, How to Use a Crinkle Cutter, and Tips for Cutting an Avocado. Talk about a confidence builder!
- TWO COOKING TOOLS
- Each kit comes with 2 child sized cooking tools that will be used for that month's recipes. For example: cookie cutters, ice cream scoop, mini tongs, etc. They are meant for kids so they are smaller and don't contain anything sharp.
- Cooking is even more fun when it comes with an activity! Examples: Learn how to say food names in Spanish, make personalized table settings, cookie math, etc.
- Again, I love Kidstir! Some of the tools don't work as well as my adult version, but they are easier and safer for my kids to use. I feel like the Kidstir recipes are more familiar to children and don't push them out of their comfort zones too much. They still provide plenty of opportunities to try new foods (Cauliflower Crunchies, Kale Chips, Pizza Soup, etc) but are mixed with a nice array of recipes my kids tend to label as “kid food” (Pizza, Pancakes, Smoothies, etc). I enjoyed most of the recipes but some I had to kick them up a notch flavor-wise (being a major salt and spice lover). I took the liberty of swapping out white flour for white whole wheat in several of the recipes and it worked great every time.
- My daughter used this one when my boys were babies so I will focus on her opinion here. She loves the kid size kitchen tools and takes a lot of pride in using “her tools.” It is very helpful for her to see what the food should look like along the way and she has learned a lot of kitchen skills by working through the Education Pages (skills that she is sometimes more resistant to listen to me explain). She likes most of the recipes and has made them more than once. She is sad that there aren't any new boxes since Kidstir boxes repeat each year, but that has also given her a chance to make these recipes multiple times.
TRY IT OUT
- Head to Kidstir to order your subscription! You can choose a monthly, 3 month, 6 month, or 12 month subscription. Each comes with a Bonus Magazine and the 12 month comes with the Recipe Binder.
I have less experience with this box, but fell in love with the founder's mission to help kids learn techniques, skills, and tastes that will create intuitive, confident cooks who aren't afraid to experiment and create beyond the recipe card. This overall goal gives me chills! We all want kids that will bravely cook and explore new foods even when we as parents aren't there to tell them they should. Love it!
WHAT YOU GET
- FOUR RECIPE CARDS
- The recipes build upon the monthly theme, making the box seem more focused and deliberate which I found to be nice for keeping my kids' interest. The two boxes I tested had fantastic recipes for healthy, kid-friendly foods that made tasting new things easy, for example, Unicorn Yogurt (dyed with freeze-dried fruit dust) and Rainbow Ice Pops that are so pretty and naturally sweet. Each recipe has a final photo of the food and very clear directions. The recipes do not have step by step photos.
- QUALITY KITCHEN TOOL
- The tools are kid friendly, great quality, and work as well as my personal kitchen tools. These tools were meant to last!
- COOKING LESSON
- Each box comes with a specific cooking lesson that the recipe cards build upon. For example: Make your Own Ricotta, How to Make a Cheese Board, Make Your Own Food Coloring, etc. Those skills are then rolled over into making the other recipes in the box, like the ricotta being turned into a cheesecake.
- READY TO COLOR POSTER
- The large poster is full of things to color and games to play that again emphasize the theme and lessons learned in the box.
- These stickers were like finding gold for my kids, haha! The stickers also follow the theme of the box and I must say they are very cute and creative and I wanted them too.
- I love the emphasis these boxes have on teaching kids techniques and skills to cook and create on their own. I love that the tools included are good quality so they can be used over the years by all of my children. The recipes are balanced nicely (Homemade Caramels and Unsweetened Popsicles) and have been accepted nicely by all family members. The recipe cards only have an image of the final product which made it a little harder for my daughter to follow. Overall, I feel like Little Sous would be best for older kids who read well and can comprehend steps without pictures.
- My older child followed the recipes with my help. She mentioned that she wanted the step by step pictures because it would make it easier to follow the recipe. All of my kids gave the recipes thumbs up and ADORED the big poster and stickers that came with each box. My daughter also appreciated that the tools worked as well as my adult ones.
TRY IT OUT
- Head to Little Sous to order your subscription! You can choose a monthly, 3 month, or 12 month subscription. Use the Promo Code TIDBITS to get $5 off your purchase.
This one is for the bakers and creative dessert lovers! These boxes make my kids' eyes light up with excitement at the cute creations and colorful ingredients included. I do believe any kid (or grown-up for that matter) would love these boxes!
WHAT YOU GET
- THEMED BAKING KIT AND RECIPE
- Each box comes with one creative recipe plus the nonperishable ingredients needed to make it. BONUS! All of the included ingredients are organic, non-GMO, fair trade, and chemical free, which is not something you can always find in the baking aisle of the grocery store! The fun, colorful recipe card has step by step directions with visuals that make it easy for my kids to stay on track.
- ACTIVITY CARDS AND SUPPLIES
- With fun themes like Hunny Bunny Garden and Brownie Explorer Crusie Ship, the decorating and presenting of the desserts is half the fun!
- L-O-V-E IT!!! With the majority of the ingredients and supplies already included in the box, this is a super easy project to enjoy. Mine absolutely beam at their masterpieces and get so excited to share their creations with others. I've always said that desserts are what prompted my love of cooking as a kid and these boxes take that to a whole new level of fun. The fact that all of the ingredients are “clean” is just the icing on the cake (excuse the pun). The box is a “one and done” kind of thing which, if I'm being honest, I kind of like. It's like an art project that we create, eat, and then it's gone, adding zero extra clutter to my life.
- Just imagine squeals and giggles of delight filling your kitchen and that will tell you exactly what my kids thought of Foodstirs. They were a little sad that there was only one recipe project per box but where all of the ingredients are included, the concept absolutely makes sense to me. The boxes only come every other month which was also a bit disappointing to them, but it makes it that much better when they get a new box. If you want more, there are some individual boxes outside of the subscription that you can purchase.
TRY IT OUT
- Go to Foodstirs to start your subscription. The link I'm providing will get you 20% off all products. You can buy a 1, 3, 6, or 12 month subscription for the best price.
MORE KID SUBSCRIPTION BOXES THAT I LOVE
I am a hardcore supporter of Kiwi Co 6 years running. Kiwi Crates are all about encouraging kids to be creative, think critically, and discover thier capabilities. For my 3 kids, I receive the Kiwi Crate, Tinker Crate, and Atlas Crate every month. I could go on forever about how great they are!
The Kiwi Crate is simple with a nice variety of art and science projects. The Tinker Crate is for older kids. but with my assistance, it is perfect for my 7-year-old budding engineer. The Atlas Crate is like a journey around the world and I love how knowledgeable my daughter is becoming about other countries.
Kiwi Co is seriously amazing. Follow this link to order today. Be sure and check their header for promo codes!
This is another line made by the people at Kidstir and I have been so impressed with it. Each month Growing Up Guides come with lessons, activities, and challenges to encourage kids to develop basic life skills. This kit is so relevant for the children of today and it's a helpful reminder to me of the ways I should be preparing my kids for real life.
There are plenty more Kid Subscription Boxes out there, in fact, my sister Cami has done a review on some others in the past you may like to check out.
If there's one you'd like me to check out or a box that you already love, let me know in the comments below! You know I'm a sucker for testing out new products 🙂
I hope you find this helpful! Here's wishing you lots of happy, fun memories with your food lovin' kiddos!