How to Cook a Whole Butternut Squash in the Instant Pot
No prep whatsoever, just throw your butternut squash into the Instant Pot and just see how much easier it is to cut and peel!
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4-5 cups chopped 1x
- Category: Side
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 1 small to medium butternut squash (look for one the right size and shape to fit in your pressure cooker pot whole or see notes below if your squash is too large)
- Pour 1 cup of water into the pressure cooker pot. Place a low rise trivet inside, place butternut squash on top.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 25 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a natural release for 10 minutes and then release any remaining pressure (could also use a full natural release if you don’t mind it getting really tender).
- Let squash cool slightly, peel with a knife or vegetable peeler.
- Cut squash in half at the neck. Cut rounded bottom in half and scoop out seeds.
- Chop into desired size and shape.
- Use immediately, refrigerate, or freeze (see notes).
More Cook Times:
- Whole Butternut Squash: High Pressure 25 minutes + 10 minute natural pressure release
- Halved Butternut Squash: High Pressure 8 minutes + 10 minute natural pressure release
- Cubed Butternut Squash: High Pressure 8 minutes + quick pressure release
- Partially Cooked, Whole Butternut Squash: High Pressure 8 minutes + quick pressure release
Chopped butternut squash freezes beautifully! Line a sheet pan with nonstick foil or a Silpat liner. Scatter chopped squash over pan. Freeze until solid then place in a freezer safe ziplock.
Keywords: instant pot recipe, butternut squash, healthy sides