Instant Pot Mexican Street Corn Salad with Creamy Jalapeno Sauce
Sweet, smoky, tangy Mexican Corn Salad with a Creamy Jalapeno Sauce made even easier with the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 5 ears of corn (see note if using canned or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced sweet or red onion
- 1 jalapeno seeded for less heat and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt (whipped cream cheese or sour cream also work)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- juice and zest of 1 lime (or 2 if you like it extra lime-y)
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese, queso fresco, or goat cheese, divided
For the Jalapeno Cream Sauce
- 2 jalapenos, halved, seeded and deveined
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro
- 1/4 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1 small clove garlic
- juice of 1/2 lime
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons water to make it lighter)
- Add 1 cup of water to the pot of the pressure cooker and place a collapsible steamer basket or a trivet inside. Stack corn on the trivet.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 1 minute.
- When cooking is complete, use a quick release.
- Let corn cool until it can be handled, then cut corn off the cob.
- Discard the water from the pot, dry it and return it to the base. Select saute and let it heat until very hot.
- Add butter and corn and occasionally stir until the corn is lightly caramelized, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add onion and jalapeno, saute and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir for 1 minute. Turn off pressure cooker and remove the pot to a hot pad.
- Add remaining ingredients and only 2 tablespoons of the crumbled cheese of choice and toss to combine.
- Pour into a pretty bowl for serving, top with remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese and garnish with minced cilantro.
- Scoop into a dish, drizzle with the Jalapeno Cream Sauce, and serve with a side of corn chips if desired.
To Make the Jalapeno Cream Sauce
- Place jalapenos, cilantro, sour cream (or yogurt), garlic, lime juice, and salt in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Stream in oil as it mixes until emulsified.
- Taste and add more salt or lime juice as needed. If it’s too spicy, add more sour cream (or yogurt).
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 6 days. Can be made in advance.
- Substitute with 4 cups of frozen or canned corn, if fresh corn isn’t available
- Use fresh lime juice, always!
- Seed and devein the jalapenos in the recipe for a very mild dish
- If Jalapeno Cream Sauce is too thin, whisk in more sour cream or yogurt and place in the fridge to thicken
- The corn salad is still absolutely divine all by itself if you don’t want the extra step of making the sauce
Keywords: mexican corn salad, jalapeno cream sauce, instant pot recipe