Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes – Quick and Easy!
Lightened up creamy, cheesy Scalloped Potatoes made quick and easy in the Instant Pot
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 small onion thinly sliced or finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour (I use whole wheat)
- 1 cup milk (any kind, I use skim)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (white or orange)
- 2 pounds Yukon potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (1/8th inch)
For the Cheese Topping
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 1/4 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Select saute on the pressure cooker pot and add butter.
- When melted, add onions, salt, thyme, and pepper and saute until soft, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle flour over the onions and stir for 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in milk and chicken broth while whisking.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened, 2-3 minutes.
- Add cheese and stir until melted and smooth.
- Pour cheese sauce into a small bowl and cover to keep it warm. Rinse out pot insert and return to the base.
- Add 1 cup water to the pressure cooker pot. Place a steamer basket inside.
- Arrange sliced potatoes evenly inside the basket.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 4 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a quick release.
- Poke potatoes with a fork to make sure they are tender. May need to cook for an extra minute if they aren’t sliced thin enough.
- To a 1 1/2 quart or 11×7 casserole dish, gently layer half of the potatoes and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Pour half of the cheese sauce over top.
- Arrange the rest of the potatoes on top, sprinkle with a pinch of salt, and pour the remainder of the cheese sauce over the top.
- Preheat the oven broiler.
- In a small bowl mix parmesan, panko breadcrumbs, salt, and melted butter. Sprinkle over top of the potatoes.
- Place under the broiler until topping is brown and crispy, 1 – 2 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
- I prefer the onions cut into thin slivers, my kids prefer that they are finely diced so they kind of melt into the sauce, your choice!
- To make this even quicker I like to make the cheese sauce on the stove top as the potatoes cook in the pressure cooker. This means an extra pot to clean, but it is more efficient
- Make sure and use a sharp cheddar cheese for more flavor
- Cheese could be omitted from the cream sauce if desired, may need extra salt
- Make ahead option: cook potatoes for 3 minutes instead of 4, layer as directed above, cover, and refrigerate. Cook at 350° F for 20 minutes or so until heated through.
Keywords: Instant Pot Potatoes, scalloped potatoes, holiday food