Instant Pot White Beans with Cilantro and Lime
Instant Pot White Beans flavored with Cilantro and Lime for an extra special kick of flavor!
- Author: Marci
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 pound dried Great Northern Beans or Cannellini Beans.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounce can mild green chiles (may substitute 1 jalapeno, minced. Discard seeds and membrane for less heat)
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 5 cups water
- Juice of 2 – 3 limes
- Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 – 2 teaspoons salt
- Add dried beans, onion, garlic, chiles, cumin, coriander, chili powder, and water to the pressure cooker pot; lightly stir.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 40 minutes (45 minutes if you want them extra soft).
- When cooking is complete, use a natural release.
- Note: beans may be runny, but once they sit for about 10 minutes, they will thicken up and be just right.
- Add lime juice, cilantro, and 1 teaspoon salt. Taste and 1 – 2 more teaspoons of salt and extra lime juice, if desired.
- Serve hot.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- I used the juice from 3 limes, but I like a stronger lime flavor. I suggest starting with 2 and go up from there.
- If you want the beans to be more versatile, omit the lime and cilantro.
- Older beans will take longer to cook. You may want to add another 10 minutes if your beans are more than a year old.
- The beans may appear runny right after you remove the lid, but it will thicken as they sit. I prefer not to drain them because there is a lot of flavor in the liquid.
Keywords: Instant Pot Beans, White Beans, Cilantro Lime