Instant Pot Whole Wheat Rosemary Asiago Crusty Bread
Warm Crusty Bread alive with herby, cheese flavor. Perfect for dipping.
- Author: Marci
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/4 cups (or 9 oz) white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (or 4.25 ounces) white flour or bread flour
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 1/2 cups room temperature water
- 1/2 cup shredded asiago cheese
For the Garlic Butter
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons shredded asiago cheese
- In a medium bowl, mix together wheat flour, white flour, wheat gluten, rosemary, salt, and yeast.
- Add the water and mix with your hands until the majority of the flour is incorporated, but the dough is still a slightly shaggy looking ball.
- If the dough is still quite wet and sticky, sprinkle an extra tablespoon or 2 of flour on top and gently fold it in. You want the dough to be tacky, but not so wet and sticky that it coats your hands when you’re working in the flour.
- Place on top of a piece of parchment paper and put inside the Instant Pot liner.
- Secure the lid. Press yogurt, then adjust until the screen reads 24:00 low. Adjust time to 4:30 and wait for the beep to indicate the cycle has started.
- After 4 hours, place a 6 – 8 quart cast iron pot with its lid on, inside the oven. Preheat oven to 450° F.
- The dough will have puffed up a bit and have small bubbles on top. Grab the sides of the parchment to lift the dough out of the pot.
- Flatten the dough slightly, then sprinkle the asiago cheese over top.
- Roughly fold the edges of the dough over the cheese, it doesn’t have to be perfect, just fold and tuck to incorporate the cheese inside the dough. Form dough into a ball.
- Place back on the parchment paper and return to the Instant Pot for the remaining 30 minutes. Secure the lid.
- After 30 minutes, the oven should be preheated and the dough will have slightly risen. Remove the pot from the oven and set the lid aside.
- Holding on to the sides of the parchment, carefully lift dough from the pot and place inside the cast iron pot (parchment paper and all). Tear off any parchment paper that is hanging over the pot.
- Place lid on top and put inside the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the bread cooks, combine Garlic Butter ingredients in a small bowl.
- After 30 minutes, remove the lid of the ceramic pot and brush Garlic Butter all over the top of the bread and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of shredded asiago.
- Place the bread back in the oven (without the lid) and allow the bread to cook 10 -15 minutes longer until the bread is nicely browned and crisp.
- Holding the corners of the parchment paper, place bread on top of a cooling rack. Remove the parchment paper if you can handle the heat. This will help the bottom of the bread stay crisp.
- It’s best to let it cool slightly so it doesn’t smash while cutting, but if you lack self-control like I do, grab a sharp knife and start cutting uneven chunks of bread. Slather with butter and devour.
- For an even lighter loaf increase the amount of white flour to wheat flour
- Vital Wheat Gluten helps to create a lighter loaf of bread. If you want to try it without, I would recommend using more white flour and less whole wheat
- I use the enameled cast iron dutch oven pot for all my crusty bread making and I LOVE it! You can also use a heavy ceramic pot, dutch oven, or other pots and pans that are safe to use at 450° F
Keywords: instant pot bread, no knead bread, crusty bread