Today I'm comin' at you with my new favorite whole grain breakfast! Believe me when I say, after you whip up this healthy Multigrain Pancake and Waffle Mix, you will never again waste a single penny on the store bought, prepackaged stuff. My kids literally cheer when I tell them we're having these pancakes (and my husband groans because he's a late to bed, late to rise type – which means – zip, zero, nada pancakes left over for him . . . oops . . . left over oatmeal, sweetie?)
This post is part of an original TIDBITS recipe, first seen HERE on tidbits-cami.com.
Cami and I recently posted this review of a fantastic wheat grinder, the NutriMill, and it is what inspired this pancake mix. But don't stress if you don't have a wheat grinder! All of these flours are so easy to find at your local grocery store nowadays. Prior to owning a wheat grinder I ordered them all from Amazon. Here are the grains you will need for this mix, and the Amazon links to them. (Affiliate Links)
When I buy them in bulk, they are often cheaper on Amazon than if I buy one package at a time from the store, but of course shop around for the best deal!
Here's how this works:
Simply mix together all of the dry Multigrain Pancake and Waffle Mix ingredients in a large bowl. When you're ready for the best whole grain pancake ever, you simply mix up your wet ingredients, dump in a cup of pancake mix and that is it! What would have been a complicated task of pulling out all the bags of different flour and baking essentials, is now literally a 5 minute process. I love it!
Since this multigrain pancake and waffle mix will likely be used gradually over the course of 2-3 weeks, I like to store it in the freezer to keep the flour as fresh as possible.
Here's what I do:
I give the mix a good stir so everything is evenly incorporated, then I put 1 cup of mix into individual ziplock bags, and then stack them up in my freezer. This not only makes even easier work of it, but it also means you don't have to stir up a big bowl of mix every time to make sure the ingredients are evenly distributed. I save all of my bags too so they can be used again and again for this same purpose. Add 2 or 3 cups of mix to your bags for larger families.
Another thing worth mentioning, take a look at those wet ingredients and notice that every measurement begins with the number 1 (1 cup, 1 teaspoon, 1 tablespoon, etc). Once you throw these pancakes together a couple times, you will have this recipe memorized! If we're being honest here, I didn't even realize that until I had made them 4 times! I'm gonna blame it on busy mornings and a 4 year old who loves to push everyone's buttons 😉
Final note: This batter will work for pancakes and waffles, cause heaven knows, I heart a good waffle!
This mix has become a staple around here, and I can't wait for you to try it!
For the low down on the perfectly sweet, no sugar added, strawberry whipped cream and the most delicious, silky, PRESSURE COOKER chocolate pancake syrup I've ever dipped a spoon in, check out this post here.
Go make some pancakes!
Multigrain Pancake Mix
Whole grain pancake mix that can be whipped together in seconds? Yes Please! Mornings just got easier and healthier!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 8 cups 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Griddle
- Cuisine: American
For the Pancake Mix
- 4 cups whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups oat flour
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed meal
- 1/3 cup whole millet
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons sugar (optional)
To Make Pancakes
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 1 cup buttermilk or kefir
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
For Pancake Mix
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat pastry flour (or white whole wheat flour), oat flour, spelt flour, ground flax seed, millet, baking powder, salt, and baking soda and mix with a metal whisk to combine all of the ingredients well. Optional: Add 3 tablespoons sugar to the bowl for a sweeter pancake.
To Make Pancakes
- Heat a griddle over medium-low heat. Pour buttermilk or kefir, egg, vanilla, and melted butter into a medium size bowl and whisk well to combine. Add 1 cup of pancake mix and stir until just combined. It's okay if it's slightly lumpy. Let sit 10 minutes, DO NOT STIR.
- Grease the skillet with nonstick cooking spray or butter. Ladle about 1/4 cup of batter onto skillet for each pancake. Flip pancakes when bubbles rise to the surface and bottoms brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Cook second side until lightly browned.
- Serve hot drizzled with Chocolate Vanilla Syrup and a dollop of Strawberry Whipped Cream.
Pancake Mix makes about 8 cups of dry mix. 1 cup of pancake mix makes about 8 pancakes. Double or triple as needed! For my family of 5, I like to put 2 cups of dry mix into ziplock bags to make things that much simpler on busy mornings. This mix also makes AMAZING waffles!
Keywords: homemade pancake mix, easy breakfast, make ahead breakfast