For a clean, bright smelling home just whip up a batch of Pressure Cooker Lemon Extract! This extract gives a perfect lemon-y punch to any dish.
Caution: Never make Extract in a stovetop pressure cooker or near an open flame. My recipes are written for electric pressure cookers only. Always use a Natural Release, never a quick release.
For more information on making Pressure Cooker Extract, see this article: Instant Pot Vanilla Extract Research
This Pressure Cooker Lemon Extract takes the cake for “Prettiest Extract”. I mean just look at the bright yellow, lemony sunshine in a jar! Super fragrant, happy, refreshing, Lemon Extract!
Now the first time I made this it was bitter and soapy tasting. The reason being that I was using a very dull vegetable peeler and was getting a lot of the white, bitter pith with my strips of peel.
Then came along this heavenly fruit peeler, and my zest peeling abilities have gotten seriously fierce!
Compared to commercial lemon extracts, that to me taste and smell very artificial, this Pressure Cooker Lemon Extract gives an incredible punch of fragrant lemon to whipped cream, ice cream, Berry Lemon Compote (so good mixed in yogurt!), and this delicious lemon curd by my dear friend Barbara at Pressure Cooking Today.
I went a bit heavier on the amount of lemon peel that I put in this extract compared to other recipes I’ve seen and I think it’s well worth it considering how cheap it is to make it.
Now go make your house smell like citrus heaven!
And just look what my sister Cami made up for us! Free printable extract labels for all the extracts posted about here.
MORE FUN RECIPES YOU DIDN'T KNOW YOU COULD TRY WITH YOUR PRESSURE COOKER:
- How To Make Natural Easter Egg Dye in the Pressure Cooker
- Instant Pot Strawberry Crio Bru
- Pressure Cooker Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
- Instant Pot Popcorn
- Instant Pot Chipotle Peach Barbecue Sauce
- All our Miscellaneous Instant Pot Recipes
Pressure Cooker Lemon Extract
Pressure Cooker Lemon Extract is bright, powerful, and will make your house smell squeaky clean.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 1 cup 1x
- Category: Extract
- Method: Pressure cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Zest of 3 medium size lemons (try not to get any white pith)
- About 1 cup Vodka (I like red label Smirnoff Vodka 80 proof)
- Place the lemon zest in a pint size Mason jar and add vodka, leaving 1 ½-2 inches of headspace. Top with a canning lid and ring and barely tighten.
- Add 1 cup of water to the pressure cooker pot and place trivet inside. Put the Mason jar on the trivet. Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 30 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a natural release.
- Carefully remove the Mason jar, swirl it lightly, and place on a cooling rack overnight.
- Once cooled, top with a pourable lid and use in all your favorite recipes that call for lemon extract or lemon juice.
- Caution: Never make Extract in a stovetop pressure cooker or near an open flame. My recipes are written for electric pressure cookers only. Always use a Natural Release, never a quick release.
- Alcohol smell may be strong at first but will diminish over a week or two. If still overpowering at that point, return it to the pressure cooker for another 30 minutes.
- The pressure cooker will fit up to three jars at a time, so feel free to double or triple the recipe.
Keywords: instant pot lemon extract, homemade extract