This creamy Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is good for you, loaded with veggies, and the perfect slate for all my favorite toppings. Bonus: It freezes like a dream! Perfection in a bowl right there!
This recipe was first published in 2017. I've updated the recipe, images, and text to make it even better!
You all know that I have a mad crush on traditional ol' Chili, long-term relationship status there. But don't think for a second that I've forgotten about its equally delicious cousin – White Chicken Chili.
As my son likes to say, “Yum Yum, gimme some, I need that now, in my tum tum tum.” Try to get that line out of your head.
Over the years, my biggest complaint about white chili is that it has a tendency to be very bland and watery. So I took my issues to the Instant Pot and figured out some tricks to make it flavorful, thick, and silky.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS INCREDIBLY HEALTHY AND EASY WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
- It's really good for you, makes you feel good, you'll never tire of it, and it rates high in the looks dept. Just add funny, rich, tall, and bigger thighs than me, and you've got my high school requirements for the perfect man
- This is dump-and-go food at its finest. The Instant Pot does all the cooking here!
- Uses zucchini, not cream, to thicken the broth. Yay for hidden veggies!
- More flavor! Chicken thighs make for a more flavorful broth than chicken breasts. I also amped up the spices. Cumin, coriander, and a pinch of chili powder aren't taking a back seat here. A splash of lime all over the top is mind-blowing.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
- Place your chicken, broth, veggies, and spices in the pressure cooker and cook it for 15 minutes at high pressure
- Once cooked, set chicken aside
- Puree until smooth.
- Shred or chop your chicken
- Add the chicken, corn, and beans back into the pot
- Serve hot and let your diners add toppings as tall as they can stack em'
I strongly advise going a little crazy with your toppings. The base of the soup is good but when the melty pepper jack cheese meets up with the tangy lime and the jalapeño heat, the fresh salsa, and the salty chips, oh my heavens. Perfect soup baby, for sure.
I adore this White Chili so much! I can't wait for you all to try it! Enjoy!
EXTRA TIDBITS REGARDING SOUP AND CHILI
HOW TO FEED A CROWD
This recipe is perfect for feeding a large group of people. Simply double the recipe and prepare the toppings, while it cooks. Your guests can serve themselves and customize their bowls however they like. Ask your guests to bring some appetizers and you've got a glorious and easy meal.
HOW TO THICKEN SOUPS AND SAUCES WITHOUT CREAM
I use veggies to add creaminess to my soups all the time, a trick I just adore. Anytime I can work in extra veggies without getting a stink face from my kids, I'm feelin' good. Here are some examples of just such recipes and their secret ingredients:
- Creamy Enchilada Soup: butternut squash and potatoes
- Magic Sunshine Soup: cauliflower, butternut squash, and cashews
- Tomato Basil Soup: fennel and carrots
- Baked Potato Soup: cauliflower and potatoes
- Healthy Nacho Cheese Sauce: butternut squash
In my cookbook, Master the Electric Pressure Cooker, there are even more examples:
- Broccoli Cheese Soup: broccoli stems
- Creamy Zucchini Spinach Soup: zucchini
I'm also working on a curry, as we speak, that I thicken with beans! Can't stop, won't stop, pureeing veggies into all of my kid's food.
ULTIMATE MAKE AHEAD FREEZER MEAL
This is one of those gem recipes that freeze so well. Buy double the ingredients and make one batch for that night, pour the other into a freezer safe gallon size ziplock for another night. More details on that below and in this Instant Pot Freezer Meal post. Also a good read: Top 15 Tips for How to Make Freezer Meals for the Instant Pot.
HOW TO FREEZE SOUP
Whenever I freeze soup and chili, I pour it into freezer safe ziplock bags, push out any air, and lay it flat to freeze. This method makes it easier to store and quicker to thaw when you need it.
Don't freeze soups with pasta or dairy in them. Dairy tends to go grainy and pasta mushy, yet another bonus for thickening soups with vegetables!
MORE INSTANT POT SOUP RECIPES
Lots of gems to be found in this soup/chili section
TOOLS USED TO MAKE INSTANT POT CREAMY WHITE CHICKEN CHILIPrint
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is a warm, nourishing, hug in the middle of a cold winter. Leftovers are every bit as delicious and it freezes like a dream.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
For the Chili
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped (peeled if you don't want the soup to be green, otherwise, just leave the peel on)
- 2 (4.5 ounce) cans diced green chiles
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned, frozen, or fresh corn
For the Toppings
- pickled jalapeño slices, chopped fresh cilantro, cubed pepper jack cheese, pico de gallo or homemade salsa, diced avocado, sour cream or yogurt, fresh lime wedges, and/or tortilla chips
- Add chicken, chicken broth, zucchini, green chiles, garlic, onion, cumin, coriander, chili powder, and salt to the pressure cooker pot and gently stir.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a natural release. May also use a 10 minute natural release, then release any remaining pressure.
- Remove chicken and place on a cutting board, cover with foil.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup until very smooth. This can also be done in batches with a blender. Be careful not to overfill the blender! Place a towel over the lid and gently pulse before turning the speed up to blend.
- Chop or shred chicken and return it to the pot of soup.
- Add cannellini beans and corn; stir. Taste, add more salt, if desired.
- To serve, ladle soup into a bowl, immediately sprinkle with cheese and add desired toppings.
- To swap the thighs for chicken breasts, I suggest cooking for 20 minutes at high pressure with a full natural pressure release to prevent the chicken from becoming chewy
- To freeze, put leftovers in a freezer safe ziplock bag and lay it flat in the freezer until solid
Keywords: pressure cooker, instant pot, chili, Mexican food
Welcome! I’m Marci, wife to my motorcycle dream man and mother of 3. I have a passion for creating and cooking delicious masterpieces in my kitchen and am ecstatic to share my discoveries on TIDBITS! I like my food tasty, wholesome, memorable, and always, ALWAYS followed by dark, salty chocolate.